This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why the North Yorkshire local authority fund (NYLAF) processes your personal data.
This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The North Yorkshire local assistance fund (‘the fund’) supports vulnerable adults to move into or remain in the community, and to help families under pressure to stay together.
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
The fund collects the following personal information:
From our partner organisations (i.e. charities and other third sector organisations, front line council services, treatment and prevention services):
- contact details: including full name, address, telephone number and email
- contact details: including full name, address, telephone number and email (if applicable)
- applicant’s date of birth
- details of household occupancy (if applicable*), including the name, date of birth, relationship to primary applicant and income status of any other household occupants
- contact details of a nominated carer or individual to be contacted about the application instead of the applicant
- the specific vulnerability of the applicant, that makes them eligible to apply to the fund, the financial circumstances of the applicant (whether the applicant is on means-tested benefits, and which ones), if the applicant has a total household income less than a specified low income threshold and less than £1,000 in capital, or the personal circumstances of the applicant to aid in application decision making, including other forms of support tried, the need for support from the Fund and what benefits an award from the fund will bring - this could include details about your mental or physical health
For audit purposes the fund requires:
- proof that the applicant is 16 years old or over
- proof that the applicant lives in, or is moving to North Yorkshire
- proof of the applicant’s financial circumstances
This can take the form of various documentary evidence including passport, drivers licence, utility bills, correspondence from the DWP, bank statements and so on. The partner organisation supporting the applicant has a full list of acceptable documentary evidence.
Why do we collect your personal information?
The fund collects your personal information to determine if you are eligible to receive an award from the fund. The fund has a limited budget each year and it needs to ensure that support is directed at those most in need. As a result, there are strict limits on who can apply, what they can apply for, and how often they can apply.
Who do we share this information with?
The council currently hold a contract with family fund business services (an external third party organisation) who administer the fund on the council’s behalf. In order to fulfil the requirements of this contract, family fund business services process personal data on behalf of the council.
How long do we keep your information for?
The council retains this data for 6 years plus the duration of the current financial year upon application as per the limitations act.
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
The council is processing your personal information in order to fulfil, or seek to enter into, a contract with you.
The council is processing your special category data for reasons of substantial public interest i.e providing the fund to vulnerable individuals.
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.