This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why North Yorkshire Council, processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK general data protection regulation (UK GDPR). Scarborough Spa and Whitby pavilion is an entertainment and conferencing venue which offers a variety of services including banqueting, business events, room hire, weddings, cinema and theatre.
The council has appointed Veritau to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
The personal data we collect from you can include:
- name and address
- contact details (email address and phone number)
- date of birth
- your purchasing activity
- your credit, or debit card or other payment information
- information you give us when you contact our customer services team or when you sign up for any of our membership activities
- information relating to your social media accounts when you engage with content on our social media platform or website (for example by tagging us in a post or liking/commenting on our content)
- call recordings (you will be informed if your call is being recorded or monitored upon contacting the Council)
If you are using a mobile device and shopping with us online or browsing our website, we may collect:
- IP address or other device identifier
- browser type and version,
- time zone setting
- browser plug-in types and versions
- operating system and platform
- other portable device information
Also, if your electronic device has Wi-Fi enabled or you connect to the venue’s Wi-Fi, we may collect your MAC address and location data whilst you are within our venues or immediately within its perimeters.
Cookies are used on our websites and our mobile apps.
Our websites may contain links to other third-party websites that are not operated by the Council. The Council is not responsible for the content, security, or privacy practices of those third-party websites. Please view the privacy and cookie policies displayed on those third-party websites.
Why do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information for the following reasons:
- for the delivery of service, you have requested e.g., to process room hire bookings
- to communicate with you regarding the products and services that you purchase and respond to your questions and comments
- to obtain customer feedback e.g., via surveys to help us measure customer satisfaction and improve our services and products.
- to measure the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising campaigns by identifying usage trends and monitoring website activity
- in some instances we will send specific offers to our customers based on their attendances or on a special occasion such as when we know it's your birthday
- to fulfil our legal and compliance-related obligations
Where you have requested, we will provide you with marketing material via SMS, post and email that may be of interest to you. This may include information about our campaign activities, and promotions.
We rely on your consent to send direct SMS, postal and email marketing messages. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us via email or in writing.
Who do we obtain your information from?
You obtain information your personal information:
- when you apply for our products and services
- when you talk to us on the phone or at one of our reception areas
- when you use our websites, mobile device apps
- via email and letters
- in customer surveys
- if you take part in our consultations, questionnaires or promotions
- when you engage with us on social media (by mentioning/tagging us or by contacting us directly)
Who do we share this information with?
We may need to pass your information to third parties who provide a service on our behalf under the council’s instruction.
Where you have uploaded product reviews, comments or content to our websites or services and made them publicly visible, we may link to, publish, or publicise these materials elsewhere including in our own advertisements.
How long do we keep your information for?
Hard copy correspondence
E-marketing data base and newsletters
Until requested to be removed by the data subject
Social media competitions
Until the end of the relationship
E- marketing campaigns for business customers
3 years post campaign
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
North Yorkshire Council relies on the following lawful basis to process your personal data:
UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(a)- the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes.
UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(b)- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract. For example, room hire or event bookings.
UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(f)- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party.
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.