This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why North Yorkshire Council processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
The self-build and custom housebuilding act 2015 places a duty on councils to keep a register of individuals and community groups locally, who want to acquire land for self-build homes. This enables the council to gather the self and custom build data to understand the demand in the Hambleton district and ensure that provision is made for plots to be approved in the right areas to meet the demand.
The council has appointed Veritau to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
In order to maintain the self build custom build (SBCB) register, the council will process the following categories of personal data:
- contact details (telephone numbers and email address)
- confirmation of whether you are above 18 years of age
We will also require information regarding your proposed building project including:
- the type of self/custom build you are interested in (group or individual)
- the areas and type and size of property you are interested in building
- the timescale you are working to
- your proposed budget and finance arrangements for the project
Why do we collect your personal information?
The self-build and custom housebuilding act 2015 places a duty on councils to keep a register of individuals and community groups locally who want to acquire land for self-build homes. The council has a statutory obligation to maintain the register and have regard to the register when carrying out its planning function. Therefore, the council processes your information for the following purposes:
- to maintain the self build and custom build register
- to understand the demand for custom / self-building in the district and the type of proposed build
- to share your information with landowners or agents or other individuals seeking to build self/custom build homes in the area.
Who do we obtain your information from?
All information is collected from the applicant. We do not collect your personal data (in relation to the SBCB register) from third party organisations.
Who do we share this information with?
The council will not share any of your information with a third party unless you have given your written consent on the self build custom build register application form.
If you have given consent we may share your information with land owners or agents or other individuals seeking to build self/custom build homes in the area.
Anonymised information about your application will be shared with the ministry of housing and local government, though this information cannot be used to identify you.
How long do we keep your information for?
Details held on the SBCB register
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
North Yorkshire Council relies on the following lawful basis to process your personal data:
- UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(a) - the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes
- UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(c) – processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject
- UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(e) - processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest
The legislations, policies and guidance that relate to this service includes, but is not limited to:
self-build and custom housebuilding act 2015
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.