This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why the specialist careers service processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council are a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The specialist careers service is a traded service which mainly provides specialist careers information, advice and guidance to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities, high needs pupils and those with additional support needs.
We have appointed Veritau Ltd to be our data protection officer.
Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
Personal data collected:
- child’s personal information (name, address, date of birth)
- family history
- school information
- destination information for 16+
Special category data collected:
- special educational needs and disability information
- health information
The legislations, policies and guidance that relate to this service includes, but is not limited to:
- Education and Skills Act 2008
- Apprenticeship, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009
- Section 507B of the Education Act 1996
Why do we collect your personal information?
- we collect your information in order to develop a careers action plan
- depending on the type of work we are completing this document may be a standalone document or may form part of an education, health and care (EHC) plan
- we retain the information on file so that when we meet you again we can review our previous discussions
Who do we share this information with?
A copy of the plan will be shared with you and your school.
Within the council:
The document may become part of an education, health and care (EHC) plan. The plan will be stored by the Inclusion service until 25 years from the date of birth. Therefore, professionals who work with you or your children may have access to the document.
The plan will not be shared with anyone else.
How long do we keep your information for?
|Data held||Retention period|
|Data relating to children with special needs (the careers action plan will form part of the EHC Plan).||25 years from date of birth|
|Careers action plan||25 years from date of birth|
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
In order to process personal data, the specialist career service relies on Article 6(1)(e) - public task.
We process special category data under Article 9(2)(g) – substantial public interest, DPA Schedule 1 Part 2 – Substantial Public Interest.
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.