Domestic abuse

We are committed to providing support for adults and children who are victims or survivors of domestic abuse.

Reporting concerns

If you have a concern you can contact us about a vulnerable adult or contact us about a child

This will be answered by the emergency duty team if you are calling outside of our opening hours. 

If you are ever in immediate danger, you should call the police on 999. If you are not safe to speak on the phone, when you call 999 on your mobile, then press 55 to Make Yourself Heard and let the 999 operator know your call is genuine. If it is not urgent, but you wish to report domestic violence, visit the North Yorkshire Police website.

I need support and advice about domestic abuse

If you are directly affected by domestic abuse and need advice and support you can call Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS) on 03000 110110You can also find out more on the IDAS website.

There is also specific support for men suffering domestic abuse from the ManKind Initiative - you can call their confidential helpline on 01823 334244 from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. For more information visit the Help for Male Victims website.

Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS) live chat

The live chat service on the IDAS website is offered via online video calls, messaging services, telephone and email and supports people who are afraid of a partner or family member. 

The live chat service runs from 3pm to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The team also run a chat dedicated to answering questions from professionals, agencies and workers from 10am to 12pm on weekdays.


Website: Independent domestic abuse service website


24 hour national helpline: 0808 2000 247

Information about domestic abuse in easy read format

  • what is domestic abuse - easy read version by IDAS 
  • how to get help - easy read version on the GOV.UK website

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is not just physical. It includes controlling, coercive, threatening and degrading behaviour, usually by a partner or ex-partner, but also by a family member or carer.

It can also include:

  • financial control
  • belittling someone
  • isolating them from their friends and family
  • making threats to children or pets
  • controlling who they see or what they do
  • sexual violence

Living with domestic abuse can cause long term emotional as well as physical harm.

Despite the fact that domestic abuse is common, it is under-reported. Some people may not be aware that what is happening to them is domestic abuse. Some people do not tell anyone because they feel ashamed or that in some way it is their fault, but this is never the case.

If you are being abused, you are not alone, and it is not your fault.

What is Economic Abuse?

Economic abuse is a legally recognised form of domestic abuse. It often takes place in the context of intimate partner violence. It involves the control of a partner or ex-partner’s money, finances and things that money can buy, such as clothing, transport, food and a place to live. 

Your bank may be able to support you to take back control of your finances.

The Banking Support Directory website includes information about the support that some of the major banks and building societies can offer if you have experienced economic abuse. You can also find out more about the Banking Support Directory for economic abuse survivors on YouTube.

Who is affected by domestic abuse?

Most victims of domestic abuse are women and girls, but men and boys can also be subjected to abuse.

Abuse happens in heterosexual and same-sex relationships and often continues when a relationship has ended. It can also happen between family members over the age of 16.

It is estimated that at least one in three women and up to one in nine men have been subject to domestic abuse. Studies also show that those most at risk of experiencing abuse in their relationships are:

  • young women
  • disabled women
  • lesbian, gay, bi and trans people

What is the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare's Law)?

This scheme gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. It is often called 'Clare's Law'. Members of the public can also make an enquiry into the partner of a close friend or family member.

Request information under Clare's Law on the North Yorkshire Police website.

I am experiencing domestic abuse and I live in a council house or housing association property

If you are experiencing abuse at home, your housing officer may be able to offer support and advice.

Please contact your landlord to organise a meeting or phone call so you can discuss your options. You do not have to put up with the abuse.

What to do if you are worried about someone you know who may be experiencing domestic abuse

If you are worried about someone else, you can report it to the police on the North Yorkshire Police website.

You can also report domestic violence anonymously to Crimestoppers.

Find guidance on the Independent Domestic Abuse Services website or by phoning their helpline.

I want support to change my abusive behaviour

If you are over the age of 16 and would like confidential advice to stop domestic abuse you can contact the Foundation charity by emailing

For further information about this domestic abuse perpetrator programme, including local contact details, visit the Foundation website

Useful links