Housing advice for those suffering domestic abuse

If you have fled an abusive relationship, we can look to help you with your rehousing needs. We can also refer you to other agencies who can help.

Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS)

IDAS is the largest specialist charity in Yorkshire supporting anyone experiencing or affected by domestic abuse or sexual violence. They have a team of accredited specialist workers to support people through the criminal justice system in additional to providing emotional support and safety planning advice.

You can contact them on:

You do not have to leave your home or go into a refuge to get help from IDAS. They can offer advice on all of your options including staying in your home and will help you create a safety plan to protect yourself.

For more information, visit the IDAS website.

Refuges or other temporary accommodation

If you do not feel safe in your home and have nowhere safe to go to, you should contact IDAS or the police to see if they can find you a space in a refuge. Refuges provide temporary housing for people fleeing domestic violence. You will not have to have left your partner permanently and you do not have to have children.

Some refuges are shared houses, while others offer self-contained apartments. You will usually have your own room, but if you have children you may have to share the room with them. You will have to pay rent but may be entitled to housing benefit. Refuge staff can give you advice about claiming benefits and finding a more permanent place to live.

If you are not able to go into a refuge, or do not wish to do so, we may be able to offer you temporary accommodation. 

How we can support you

We can offer help and advice. Please contact us

We will arrange a discussion with you to discuss your situation. This can be with a member of the same sex if you feel more comfortable. Someone can also come to the interview with you for support. 

We will help you find somewhere safe to stay on a temporary basis and work with you on longer-term options. This might involve making arrangements for rehousing or returning home with additional security measures in place. Your support worker or someone else can do this on your behalf.

How you access all the support is different depending on where you live in North Yorkshire.

Support in the Craven area

Contact us. We can discuss your housing options with you. 

Support in the Richmondshire area

Contact us. We can discuss your housing options with you. 

Support in the Scarborough area

Contact us. We can discuss your housing options with you. 

Support in the Selby area

Contact us. We can discuss your housing options with you. 

Staying in your home

You do not have to lose your home if you have experienced domestic violence. You have done nothing wrong, and you may want to stay close to friends, family, a local job, or local services. You’ll probably also want to minimise upheaval if you have children. Think carefully when making any decisions and always put safety first.

You need to get specialist advice as soon as possible as any rights you have to stay in your accommodation will depend on if you are a joint or sole owner or tenant, and what your relationship status is. In some circumstances you may be able to apply for an occupation order to give you rights to live in the home and / or exclude your partner. You can find out more on the occupation order page on the Government website.

As well as occupation orders, there are various other court orders and injunctions that you can apply for to increase your safety. The most common of these are non-molestation orders. These ban your partner from assaulting, harassing or threatening you. You can find out more on the non-molestation order page on the Government website.

IDAS or a solicitor will be able to provide further information and support about this. 

Alternative housing options

There are a range of alternative housing options available. 

Apply for social housing

You can complete a housing application for social housing on the North Yorkshire Home Choice website. Paper applications are also available.

Private renting

The main advantage of private rented accommodation is that you will have more choice in terms of location and type of property. We may also be able to give you advice about what is available in your local area and how you can get help with paying the rent bonds and rent in advance. 

You may also wish to start looking at suitable private renting options on websites such as Right Move or Spare Room.

Help with housing costs

Many people are reluctant to leave a violent relationship because they are worried that they will not be able to support themselves financially. However, you may be able to apply for help with your housing costs and living expenses, such as:

  • benefits or tax credits
  • a crisis loan to help you meet emergency expenses
  • maintenance payments from your ex-partner if you have children

You may be able to claim housing benefit for two homes if you have to move out temporarily because of violence or threats. This can last for up to a year.

If you are receiving a state benefit or on a low income, you can apply for help towards your rent. See our benefits section for more information.

If you are looking to rent a private rented property, the maximum amount of help you can get is set by the local housing allowance. You can find out more on the local housing allowance page of the Government website. If you are under 35, you will only be able to get rent to cover you for a room in a shared house. Further details can be found in our Housing Benefit section.

Help from other agencies

National Domestic Abuse Helpline

You might be able to get safe housing and support in a women’s refuge. Visit the National Domestic Abuse helpline website or call 0808 2000247.

+Choices Foundation

The primary aim of +Choices Foundation is to keep victims of domestic abuse and their family safe within their own home.

It also works with perpetrators to address their behaviours which have led to domestic abuse.

The scheme aims to reduce risks to those involved in domestic incidents and reduce the opportunity for a repeat incident to occur. The scheme can provide support for those arrested or charged with offences involving domestic abuse who consent to be involved.

Find out more about the +Choices - Domestic Abuse Perpetrator Programme

Or you can phone 07525 910778, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Action Towards Inclusion - Foundation

The core mission is to create inclusive communities where everyone matters. They seek to engage customers in opportunities for building a sense of social inclusion. Often this work is around mental and physical health, changing behaviours, taking responsibility and learning practical skills for keeping home and employment. 

They will offer direct support to help participants to progress into job searching, education, training and employment.

For more information, visit the action towards inclusion page on the Foundation website.