Paying for care in your own home

Many people can live safely and independently in their own home with the right care, help and support. However, most people will have to pay something towards the cost of any care, help and support.

If you have savings or investments of less than £23,250 we may be able to provide you with some financial support.

In most cases, we will provide you with a short period of free intense care and support in your own home.

We will then review your circumstances and discuss whether or not you need further help.

Financial assessment

Completing our online self-assessment form will give you an indication of whether or not you will need to pay towards your care.

If you need long-term support, we will carry out a financial assessment to determine how much you will have to pay.

You may have other expenses which you incur as a direct result of your illness or disability. These may be included when we work out how much you have available to pay towards your services.

How much you will pay

You will be asked to pay the full cost of providing the service if:

  • your capital is over £23,250, for the financial year 2023-2024
  • you decide not to tell us about your financial circumstances
  • you refuse to sign the financial assessment form

If your capital is less than £23,250 we will:

  • look at your assessable income
  • the level of service you receive
  • any savings or other capital assets that you have over £14,250
  • any disability-related costs

If you have savings below £14,250, they are not included when working out your charge for services.

Couples may be assessed jointly, using both your and your partner's income and savings.

Individuals are assessed using only your income and savings.

Find out more in  our leaflet about what you should expect to pay for care services in 2023 - 24 (pdf / 629 KB).

Change in circumstances

If your circumstances change, we can reassess how much you pay and tell you if there is a change to your charges.