Paying for social care

We carry out a financial assessment to decide how much you may pay towards social care services.

Please note, if you have savings and / or capital of £23,250 or more, you will be asked to pay the full cost of providing the services you receive. 

Assessing your needs

Our online financial assessment screening tool will help you understand your care and support needs.

It is quick and easy to complete and is available 24 hours a day.

To help you complete the form, you may need:

  • pension statement
  • bank or building society statements 
  • property details
  • trust funds
  • stocks and shares
  • council tax
  • rent payments
  • fuel bills
  • water bills

The financial assessment is usually carried out on your income alone. However, in some circumstances it may be better to consider both yours and your partner's income. 

Complete a financial assessment

If you do not want to use the online form, your social care co-ordinator can ask a benefits and assessments officer to visit you to complete a financial assessment. 

What happens next?

The benefits and assessments officer will complete the financial assessment and tell you what your weekly contribution towards your care will be. They will also help you to claim any welfare benefits to which you may be entitled.

If your circumstances change

Let us know if there is a change to your situation. This will allow us to complete a new financial assessment or review your welfare benefits entitlement. You can also request a re-assessment at any time.

Further information

Find out more in  our leaflet about what you should expect to pay for care services in 2023 - 24 (pdf / 629 KB).