Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you are unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. Discretionary Housing Payments may also be available for those needing extra help with their housing costs.

You can only claim Housing Benefit if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • you live in temporary or specified accommodation
  • you are single and over state pension credit age, or are part of a couple who are both over state pension credit age

If you do not meet the criteria for Housing Benefit, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead. Find out how to apply for Universal Credit.

Housing Benefit is means-tested to decide how much you get. We will take into account how much income you and your partner receive, if you have any savings and whether you have any spare rooms. You will not be able to claim Housing Benefit if you hold capital over £16,000.

You will get help with all or part of your rent depending on your circumstances.

You can also find out about benefit overpayments and Discretionary Housing Payments by selecting your area below.

 Find out about this service in your area
We deliver this service differently depending on where it is. Use our online service so we can direct you to the right part of our website.