Claiming Housing Benefit in the Ryedale area

You should apply for Housing Benefit as soon as you think you need help. Do not delay in making a claim or you may lose out.

You can only receive Housing Benefit if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • you and your partner are of pension age
  • you are working age and living in supported accommodation
  • you are working age and living in temporary accommodation under the Homeless Person Act

If you do not fall into one of the categories above you need to apply for Universal Credit to help with housing costs.

Your housing benefit entitlement is means-tested based on your circumstances. What you receive will depend on your income, savings, household, the total amount your family currently receives in benefits, and the number of bedrooms your family needs.

You do not have to renew your Housing Benefit claim as this will continue to be paid for as long as you are entitled to it. However, changes in circumstances can affect the amount of Housing Benefit you get so you need to inform us of any changes straight away.

Apply for Housing Benefit