Whitby open market is subject to weather conditions. A market day will only be cancelled as a last resort if weather conditions put the safety of our traders, staff and shoppers at risk.
The decision to cancel a market day is made after considering the:
- condition of local area roads
- condition of the market site
- extreme weather forecasted
- ability of staff and traders to travel to the market site
Extreme weather includes wind over 25 mph. The BBC website will be used to monitor the weather conditions and wind speeds.
The decision to cancel market trading will be taken by the Market Superintendent in consultation with traders where possible. The Market Superintendent’s decision will be final. Traders will not be allowed to trade if the market is cancelled.
Pitch fees will not need to be paid if the Market Superintendent cancels market trading.
Should the weather take an unpredicted turn towards bad weather during any market day, the Superintendent can at their discretion close the market early. All traders must then pack away and leave the site.
How we will communicate that a market is cancelled
A decision to close the market will be made 48 hours before the scheduled market day if the relevant information is available at that time. A last minute cancellation is possible if unexpected extreme weather arrives or there is a last minute change to the weather forecast.
We will use the following steps to communicate a cancelled market to traders and shoppers:
- email all traders with receipt confirmation requested
- traders who have not replied to a cancellation notification with 24 hours left to go, will receive a phone call and/or text message
- if the market is cancelled with less than 24 hours notice, text messages will be sent out prior to phone calls
- a notice will be posted on the Whitby market Facebook page and it will be repeated as necessary in the 24 hours before the cancelled market day. This notice of cancellation will continue to run on the Facebook page during the course of the cancelled market day
When the projected wind speed is 15 mph or higher, we will declare a strong wind advisory. This will require all traders to use appropriate weights on their stalls. Appropriate weights means a weight of at least 20 pounds on all four legs. Options include:
- buckets or solid boxes filled with concrete
- water/metal weights
- leg bases
Those that do not have the appropriate weights will be required to trade without the canopy on their stall or they will not be granted permission to trade at all. Pitch fees will still need to be paid by those traders who are unable to trade due to a lack of weights.
Traders are responsible for taking appropriate precautions to protect their goods, and ensuring their stall or goods do not cause damage to a neighbouring stall or members of the public.
Traders not wanting to attend a market due to bad weather
If traders choose not to attend a market trading day due to bad weather, notification must be given to the Market Superintendent by:
Pitch fees will still need to be paid under these circumstances.