Transport for SEND young people after 19

Find out what transport support is available for young people aged over 19 with special educational needs.

When a student with an education, health and care plan (EHCP), who is above the age of 19 and below the age of 25 years, starts a new course of education, an additional assessment is made (reflecting the council’s obligations under both the Care Act 2014 and the Education Act 1996, s 508F) to determine whether it is necessary for the council (rather than the student or family) to make their own travel arrangements.

We will consider:

  • what other arrangements you have considered or tried and why they are not suitable
  • if there is a family member or carer who is able to transport the student and why it would not be a reasonable arrangement to make
  • if the student is in receipt of higher rate mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance, the purpose of which is to assist those who have mobility problems, with severe difficulty walking or who need help getting around outside. We would expect this benefit to be fully used to meet their transport needs and this includes transport to their educational or training placement if there are any factors limiting its use you should provide details of them
  • the student’s age, ability, aptitudes and SEND
  • the quality of education or training and locations and times of provision
  • if there is a Motability vehicle available to the student. If a decision has been made not to use the Motability vehicle to support the student to reach their education placement, we would normally expect the carer or student to make their own appropriate alternative arrangements, or provide details as to why that is not possible or reasonable
  • any other exceptional circumstances that you consider need to be taken into account, and any recent supporting evidence that you provide

We would not generally consider work or childcare commitments as an exceptional reason for travel assistance to be provided.

This assessment is normally completed by the young person's social worker, as the criteria is determined by the Care Act 2014.

Based on the assessment, if the student has alternative means to support transport to educational provision the local authority is unlikely to provide travel assistance.

However, if the assessment identifies that a student does not have any other way of getting to the educational provision the local authority will provide travel assistance free of charge.

Students undertaking a work-based learning programme such as an apprenticeship or supported internship would need to apply for Access to Work funding to support their transport needs.

Apply for Post 16 Transport