For families on low income, the cost for new starters and renewals is £373.75.
Definition of low income
Low income relates to students who are on free school meals or where a family is in receipt of the qualifying benefits for free school meals or who received the maximum level of working tax credits.
You will need to provide your direct debit details when applying online. Once we have determined that you meet the low income criteria we will reduce the fee and direct debits accordingly.
The qualifying benefits for free school meals are:
- Universal Credit - provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400 as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods
- Income-based Jobseekers' allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Child tax credit, provided you are not entitled to working tax credit, and have an annual household income as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs that does not exceed £16,190
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of state Pension Credit
It also applies to those students who are young parents on low income, who are on a means-tested benefit from the list above.
Working tax credits
You can also qualify for a reduction in the fee if your family receive the maximum level of working tax credits.
HM Revenue and Customs issue a 'Tax Credit Awards Notice' detailing the breakdown and amount of the award. If on Part 2 of the notice (How we work out your tax credits) under the "Working Tax Credits elements" there is any award amount (other than £0) on the 'Reduction due to your income' section, then you are not in receipt of the maximum level of Working Tax Credit. To be on the maximum level of Working Tax Credit your annual earned income must be less than £7,455, once this threshold is reached then reductions are made to the amount of Working Tax Credit you receive.
In order for us to be able to confirm this, please provide us with your latest proof of benefit or the full copy of the current tax year final (not provisional) award notice as soon as possible. It is important that we have a copy of all of the pages of the award notice.