SEND transport for young people over 19

Transport help and advice for young people over 19 with SEND.

If you have an education, health and care plan (EHCP) and have started a new school or college course, the council will check to see if you have a social care assessment. To access this, you need to have a social worker who will carry out an assessment of your needs.

Based on the assessment, the council will determine whether you can access SEND transport.

If the assessment identifies that you do not have any other way of getting to your school or college, the local authority may provide travel assistance free of charge.

If you are undertaking a work-based learning programme such as an apprenticeship or supported internship you should apply for Access to Work funding to support your transport needs.

Check our parents and carers section for more detailed information about post-19 SEND transport, including eligibility criteria.