SEND financial support guidance for professionals

Information about personal budgets, direct payments, benefits, grants and financial support for children, young people and their families.

Personal budgets

Personal budgets are intended to help children and young people with SEND and their families to have more choice, flexibility and control over the services they receive. The personal budgets help to meet needs as set out in their education, health and care plan (EHCP), and help children and young people achieve the outcomes agreed in their plans.

For education, you do not have to have a personal budget if you do not want one. Read our guide to direct payments, personal budgets and SEND.

Direct payments

One way of managing a personal budget is by a direct payment. This is where all or part of the personal budget is paid as a cash sum for services to be arranged and managed by the child's family or young person.

In North Yorkshire, you will be offered support from the direct payment support service if they choose to have a direct payment. The service can help you with:

  • getting started with direct payments
  • finance and record keeping
  • recruiting staff or using an agency

For more information, see our direct payments page, which also includes contact details for the direct payments support service.

Benefits calculator

It's important to make sure that families get all the help that they are entitled to. They can use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits they might qualify for and an estimate of how much they may be entitled to.

Benefits advice from Citizens Advice

More information on benefits and tax credits can be found on the Citizens Advice benefits page.

Money Management advice from Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice money management can help you with the information needed to make the right choices, including help with money problems such as budgeting, how to avoid losing your home and how to get your finances back into shape.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability living allowance may help with the extra costs of looking after a child under 16.

Turn2us grant finder

This is a useful tool which can help you to find out if a family are entitled to financial help via welfare benefits and grants.

Family Fund

The Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. Visit the Family Fund website to learn more.


Shine provides specialist support from before birth and throughout the life of anyone living with spina bifida and or hydrocephalus, as well as to parents, families, carers and professional care staff. The website includes information about help available to make understanding your money and rights to benefits a little easier.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.  This can be on its own or in addition to any student finance you get. Visit the UK government disabled students allowance website.

North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund (NYLAF)

The North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund provides support for vulnerable adults to move into or remain in the community, and to help families under exceptional pressure to stay together.

Carer's Allowance

You could be entitled to financial help if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they receive one of the benefits listed. For more information, visit the UK government Carer's Allowance guide.

Student financial support

Information about the financial support available to young people to help them take part in education and training.