Care leavers: your accommodation and where you live

Learn about the different support and housing options available for care leavers, including ‘staying put’ and supported lodgings.

There are different housing options available in North Yorkshire, some with support included and some without. Ultimately, you will decide what accommodation to accept but we will be considering your needs and your level of life skills to ensure the accommodation offered to you is suitable and appropriate. We will also liaise with housing on your behalf to ensure that your views are listened to and accounted for throughout the process.

Staying with foster carers after you have turned 18 is called ‘staying put’, you can stay with your foster carer until you are 21 if this is agreed.

There are lots of different types of supported housing options available to you, depending on your level of need. We will make sure you understand the options available to you and encourage you to accept housing which we believe is in your best interests.

If you are at university and need help with the cost of accommodation during vacation time, we will help you with this, please see the education, training and employment page.

This graphic helps to show how you might move between the different types of accommodation at different times, or progress from one type to another. If you need this information in a different format, please contact your leaving care case worker.

A flow chart to show care leavers in North Yorkshire how you can move from one type of accommodation to another. Please contact us for this information in another format.

Other types of housing

There are lots of different types of supported housing options available to you, depending on your level of need. We will make sure you understand the options available to you and encourage you to accept housing which we believe is in your best interests. If you are at university and need help with the cost of accommodation during vacation time, we will help you with this too. Find out more about support we can offer for your education and studies here.

Type of accommodation Who is responsible for the accommodation? What support is included, who is eligible and where to get further information
Staying Put Arrangements NYC leaving
care team
Staying put is available to any eligible young person approaching 18 who wishes to continue living with their foster carers. If your foster carers cannot offer staying put then we will look for another foster placement which can. You can stay within this arrangement until you are 21 years old. Staying put can also be accessed whilst you are at university or engaging in another training programme that requires you to live away from home. You will get the security of the on-going relationship with your carer and their support to develop your independent living skills. Choosing staying put has proved very successful for many young people, improving their employability, social resilience and life chances. Speak to your social worker, independent review officer or leaving care case worker if you have questions about staying put.
Leaving care
supported lodgings
NYC leaving
care team
Leaving care supported lodgings are bespoke arrangements arranged on a case by case basis. If there is an opportunity for you to benefit from a Supported Lodgings arrangement your leaving care case worker will discuss this with you.
No Wrong Door
supported lodgings
(for young people
leaving NWD
residential care)
Wrong Door ('NWD')

One of the placement options available within the NWD hub is ‘NWD supported accommodation’ which will provide accommodation and support as a transition arrangement for young people living within a NWD residential hub who want to try out living more independently. They still get the support of the NWD team to stick with them as they move into adulthood.

High needs supported lodgings host: For this role we ask someone to provide a room within their home and be the stepping stone for young people moving towards living independently. Hub placements will provide the support needed to help young people move on in their lives. Placements will be planned and can be on a short term, medium term, or respite basis dependent on the young person’s circumstances and their care plan. In addition the host can have a sessional contract (subject to interview) and be able to work in other areas of the hub. This allows the host to build relationships with young people who may eventually be placed with them.

Night stop – For
young people in
need of emergency
(young peoples
pathway 1)
SASH You will be provided 1 to 14 nights of accommodation in a volunteer host’s home, which includes an evening meal, bed, washing facilities and breakfast.
SASH supported
lodgings (young
peoples pathway 2)
SASH Accommodation and support provided in the home of a volunteer approved ‘host’ for up to 2 years, you have your own room and key. Support is provided by the host and a Support Worker to develop independent living skills and access or maintain employment, education or training. When ready, you are supported to find suitable accommodation and settle in.
(young peoples
pathway 2)
Providers –
Foundation or
A range of 24/7 staffed supported accommodation for single young people with either self-contained or shared facilities for up to 6 to 18 months. You will have a support worker and access employment and training. From here you might move into the supported move on accommodation or full independent living.
Move on
(young peoples
pathway 2)
Providers –
Broadacres, Ryedale
Properties for single young people and young parents located in the community with support to maintain the tenancy and get ready for the next step of full independent living.
General needs
tenancy (social
housing) through
North Yorkshire
Home Choice
Housing associations
(such as Broadacres,
Yorkshire Homes,
Yorkshire Coast
Homes or local
authority housing)
North Yorkshire Home Choice is a choice based lettings scheme that advertises council and housing association properties for rent and shared ownership properties for sale. Available properties are advertised weekly and if you are eligible and qualify to join the North Yorkshire Home Choice housing register you can express an interest, or bid, on up to 3 properties each week you would like to be considered for.
Floating support
(support only)
Various providers
(such as DISC, Horton Housing)
Practical support to build skills, confidence and knowledge to help you maintain a tenancy and live independently successfully.
Privately rented Private landlord Renting a property from a private landlord. This means renting from someone who owns a property. Private landlords usually rent out properties so they can make money. A private landlord can also be a company that owns lots of properties. For more information and support with private tenancies you can contact Citizens Advice.
Bespoke and
specialist high need
Various If you have additional needs which providers would be unable to meet within the accommodation offered within pathway 2, such as a severe learning disability or difficulty or you are a very high risk offender, you may be referred to a specialist accommodation provider where you can get the right support. Your leaving care case worker, adult social worker or probation officer will talk to you about specialist accommodation options if you need this.

North Yorkshire home choice

If you want to register for social housing within North Yorkshire, information is available on the North Yorkshire home choice website.

As a care leaver you can be given gold banded status, but you need to have an agreed support package to help you as you move into your own tenancy. It is important that if you are in supported housing or staying put arrangement that your worker can support the move by being able to show North Yorkshire home choice how you have learnt life skills during your stay in supported housing.

If you are homeless, you have priority need if you are aged 18-21 and have been in care when you were 16 or 17.

You may have a priority need for another reason or a combination of reasons if you are over 21. It is always worth asking your worker or contacting the team under always here if you need advice on where to get support if you are homeless or think you maybe homeless in the next couple of months.

The local authority as your guarantor

If you are wanting to rent from a private landlord but are unable to find a guarantor from your family or friends, the local authority can support you with this. You will need to apply via a short application from and provide details of your own financial arrangements, submitting 3 months’ worth of bank statements so we can assess if the local authority is in a position to support you with this. Please ask your worker for details of how to make an application.