Difficulties paying your council tax for the Craven area

This service is delivered differently in each area of the county. This information relates to the former district of Craven. Looking for information in another area of the county? You can change the location here.

Find out about making payment arrangements and information on final notices, court summons, recovery action and enforcement agents.

If you do not pay your council tax, legal recovery action may be taken to get the money you owe. 

If you cannot afford the payments that are shown on your council tax bill, please contact us and we can help. You may be able to pay in instalments or avoid any recovery actions. 

Have you fallen behind with your payments?

If you have had a reminder letter from us because you have not paid your council tax bill, you can:

Have you had a final notice?

Your council tax is now overdue and the amount due for the rest of the year is payable. You should make payment of the full amount on the notice to avoid further action. 

Pay your council tax here.

If you cannot afford the full payment on the notice, please contact us.

Have you had a summons for a court hearing? 

You should either:

If you feel you are unable to clear your arrears within the current financial year, contact us

Recovery action

If you don't make a payment or a payment arrangement, we may:

  • pass your debt to an Enforcement Agent for collection
  • deduct money from your wages
  • deduct money from your Benefit entitlement
  • make you bankrupt or apply for a charge against your property

Enforcement agents

Enforcement agents, sometimes called bailiffs, are employed in appropriate cases of non-payment of monies due to the council. 

Enforcement agents are instructed to collect the debt outstanding where a liability order has been obtained through the Magistrates Court and all other efforts to collect the debt have failed. Enforcement agents collect their costs directly from the charge payer and therefore the amount payable can be greatly increased. 

Anyone experiencing difficulty paying their bill should contact us before the matter reaches this stage.