Paid bus passes

Students can apply for a paid bus pass if they are not entitled to free school transport to a school or assistance with transport to a sixth form or college.

This type of pass is only available where there is spare seating capacity and it is lawful to sell a seat to a paying passenger. Passes cannot be guaranteed for the full year and you should only apply if you have read the terms and conditions of sale and are happy to agree to them.

Can I apply for a paid bus pass?

Students can purchase a paid bus pass if they are not entitled to assistance with transport to a school, sixth form or college.

Fees for academic year 2024 to 2025

  Full permit Single journey Two days per week One day per week
Reception to year 11 £792 £633.60 £316.80 £158.40
Transport to sixth form or college £792 N/A N/A N/A

Other options are available when applying online.

Paid bus passes for Upper Wharfedale School and Nidderdale High School

Pupils from Upper Wharfedale School or Nidderdale High School must contact their school directly to apply for a paid bus pass.

Apply for a paid bus pass

Apply for a paid bus pass and pay online by Direct Debit.

Apply for a paid bus pass

Apply and pay by telephone

Apply and pay by telephone if you wish to pay in full via a debit or credit card payment or if you wish to set up direct debit instalments. Please contact us.

We currently only accept payment online by direct debit. Payment details will be taken during application and you will be given the option to pay the full amount or by monthly direct debits. The first payment is taken in October, with the final payment taken in June. Payment will only be taken if your application is successful. 

What happens after you apply

We will review and check the availability on your chosen service(s) and once the transport request has been approved, a permit will be issued and payment will then be taken.

We will not know availability of your chosen service(s) until mid to late August. You must have an alternative transport option in place should your application be unsuccessful.

If you have submitted your application part way through the academic year you require the transport for, it may take up to two weeks to process your application and you will need to make your own arrangements until you receive the bus pass.

Bus routes

Visit our timetable information page to check which buses serve your area and when.

Further information

Replacement passes

You can request a replacement bus pass online if your school or college bus pass has been damaged, lost or stolen. Find out how to request a replacement bus pass here.

Cancelling your pass

If you no longer require your bus pass you must return it to us as soon as possible.

To cancel a paid bus pass, the pass or passes must be returned to us at the address below. We recommend that you use a recorded delivery service as proof of postage may be requested in the event that the pass is not received. You will remain responsible for the cost of the permit until the date we receive it.

Please note, you are unable to cancel transport assistance to sixth form or college after 1 April.

The address for returns and refund consideration is:

North Yorkshire Council
FAO Integrated Passenger Transport
County Hall

Paid bus pass terms and conditions

Please note, by applying for a paid bus pass, you are agreeing to have read, understood and that you will abide by our terms and conditions.

You can view the terms and conditions here

Enquiries about paid bus passes

Please contact us if you would like to make an enquiry about paid bus passes.