Applying for free school transport
You do not need to apply for free home to school transport if your child is starting a school and you have applied for a place at one of our schools. We will automatically assess your child's eligibility and will send you a pass if you are eligible.
Is my child eligible?
We provide free school transport to the catchment school or nearest school* to your home if it is over the following walking distances:
- 2 miles for children under eight years of age
- 3 miles for children aged over eight
- where the route to the catchment or nearest school is not safe to walk accompanied by a responsible adult
*the nearest suitable school for transport purposes includes schools in neighbouring authorities. If you live near the boundary you might find that the nearest school is outside of North Yorkshire.
Free school transport is available to eligible pupils from the start of reception year until the end of year 11.
If the nearest catchment or nearest school is full, transport will be provided to the nearest school with places available, in line with our transport policy.
The following categories of children from low income families are eligible for free home to school transport:
- children aged 8, but under the age of 11 who are attending their catchment or nearest school and the distance to that school is more than two miles
- children in Years 7-11 who attend one of their 3 nearest secondary schools and the school is over 2 miles but less than 6 miles from where they live
- children in Years 7-11 who attend the nearest denominational secondary school, where the distance is over 2miles but less than 15 miles from home
- children aged 5 to 11 who attend the nearest denominational primary school, where the distance is more than 2 miles but less than 5 miles from home
A low income family is where children are entitled to free school meals or whose parent are in receipt of the maximum level of working tax credit.
Eligibility will be assessed each year and may be withdrawn if your benefits change. View more information about financial support for young people aged over 16.
Changes in circumstances
If your child is currently at school and you have moved home, or your circumstances have changed it is your responsibility to notify us of this change. This may affect your child's eligibility to free home to school transport. Unfortunately, we are not able to back date any change so it is important you tell us straight away, please contact us.
Visit our timetable information page to check which buses serve your area and when.