Pest control for the Harrogate area

Find out which pests we can treat if you are a resident or business in the Harrogate area.

Book and pay for pest control treatments

Our fully qualified officers can deal with a range of pest problems quickly and efficiently.

Book and pay for pest control treatments if you are in the Harrogate area

Pest control

By law, residents have a duty to keep their own property free of pests.  

Our aim is to offer you an appointment within two working days, but it may take longer in the busy summer months. There is no emergency out of hours service, but treatments for wasps will be offered urgently for: 

  • schools 
  • disabled people 
  • people with allergic reactions 


Our pest control service will provide treatments for: 

  • wasps 
  • rats and mice 
  • fleas and insects 
  • ants 
  • grey squirrels (if found inside buildings) 

Treatments usually require between one and four visits.  

Please note that we do not provide a service for treating: 

  • badgers (protected species)
  • bats (protected species)
  • birds, including pigeons
  • feral cats 
  • foxes
  • moles
  • personal infestations (such as body lice – see your GP) 
  • rabbits 
  • woodworm (get a commercial treatment) 

Treatment prices

Contact us for treatment prices. Please note that if during a site visit no treatment is needed, a call out fee will still be charged. 

Terms and conditions

View our terms and conditions for our pest control service

Treatment required for various pests


Wasp nests are usually dealt with by a single treatment by spraying the entrance of the nest.

Rats and mice

Treatments are usually spread over a month to six weeks. During this time, the pest control officer will make enough visits to complete the treatment. Usually they'll need access to the property so a key holder needs to be present. A risk assessment will decide which treatment is used and it can be affected by the presence of children or pets. We will clarify which pest you have during your treatment.

Fleas and insects

If you can't identify the insect causing the infestation, you can ask a pest control officer to phone you. They might be able to identify the insect over the phone or arrange to inspect a specimen in a sealed jar. Advice over the phone is free, but there's a call out charge if the officer visits but does not deliver any treatment. 


Bees are not generally regarded as pests. If a swarm of honey bees is a nuisance we will try to put you in touch with a local beekeeper, who may take them away. The Harrogate and Ripon Beekeepers Association website has more information on honey bees.


Treatment can be provided for ants, but complete extermination cannot be guaranteed.


Red squirrels are protected species and are therefore not considered to be a nuisance or a pest. Grey squirrels can be treated if found inside buildings, usually the loft space. The pest control officer will advise you on your options.


Sometimes, treatments need to be reapplied to fully get rid of a pest, and new pests sometimes take over the space left empty by the eradicated pest.

Our officers will decide whether the return of a pest is the same one requiring retreatment, which is free. If it is a new pest infestation needing a new treatment, this will have to be paid for. 

Pest control contracts

Contracts are available to both businesses and domestic customers who have regular pest problems. Please contact us to speak to a pest control officer about your requirements. 

Report a rodent sighting

If you spot a rodent on your own or somebody else's property, contact us. We can investigate the source of the rodent problem and may be able to help.

We have the power to make sure that people deal with rodents, such as rats and mice, in or on their property. 

Please provide details of where and when you saw the rodent. 

Other animal nuisances

These include: 

  • dead animals – large mammals (bigger than cats) will be removed from public land and streets 
  • bird flu – if you find five or more dead wild birds in the same place, read the Government’s advice on the GOV.UK website and call the DEFRA helpline on 0345 933 5577 
  • dog fouling – this is a health risk and we respond to reports from the public 
  • stray dogs – we collect the dog and return it to its owner; kennel fees will be charged 

Animal or pest complaint

If you have an animal or pest complaint please contact us using our online environmental protection enquiries and issues form.