Report a noise issue

Tell us about noise nuisance in your area

North Yorkshire Council has a legal duty to investigate complaints of statutory nuisances caused by excessive noise.

We will investigate noise complaints relating to both domestic and commercial premises, including:

  • loud music or televisions
  • barking dogs
  • noise from shouting or raised voices
  • noise from pubs, clubs or events

Before reporting an issue to us, you should try to approach the person or business responsible and explain the situation - they may not realise that they are causing you a problem. However, this informal approach may not always work, or you may not feel comfortable in speaking to the person directly.

We cannot investigate anonymous complaints - nuisance law requires us to determine the impact of the noise upon an individual. Anonymous complaints will be noted but not acted upon.

 Find out about this service in your area
We deliver this service differently depending on where it is. Use our online service so we can direct you to the right part of our website.