Housing advice for those being discharged from hospital

If you will be homeless when discharged from hospital, we will provide you with advice and assistance.

Finding suitable housing when discharged from hospital can make a huge difference to your quality of life, whether you need support yourself or are caring for someone else.

If you are likely to be homeless when discharged form hospital, you should tell the hospital nursing staff as soon as possible. They have a duty to refer you to us for help and may also arrange for the hospital discharge team to visit you.

Hospital discharge team

The discharge team may refer you to us. We will assess your situation and you may be offered temporary accommodation in certain circumstances. 

If you are within 56 days of discharge and have no home to return to, we will arrange an assessment. We work with you and any agency supporting you to find accommodation to go to on discharge.


If this is not possible, we will assess if we owe you a duty to provide temporary accommodation. The fact that you have been in hospital does not automatically mean that you are classed as a priority need or vulnerable – this will depend on your individual circumstances. 

Planned discharge from mental health wards

There is a procedure in place for the secure and confidential sharing of information between agencies to help meet the needs of patients being discharged from mental health wards.

It aims to prevent homelessness or discharge into unsuitable  accommodation by:

  • sharing information with us, housing associations, health, social care and other relevant organisations
  • promoting joint working to provide advice and support to patients at the earliest possible opportunity
  • linking patients with a range of housing services and other services in order to prevent delayed discharges and prevent unnecessary readmissions
  • reducing any anxiety for the patient on leaving the ward 

 You can also view the housing checklist for hospital discharge here (pdf / 233 KB).

If you are about to leave hospital but are worried if you will cope

If you have a home already but it needs to be adapted, the hospital will refer you to our social services team

Arrangements will be made for an occupational therapist to undertake a needs assessment. They will decide if any adaptions could be made to your home so you can return to it. However, if your home is deemed unsuitable, the assessment team will work with the housing us to find a solution for you.

If you rent your home, there is a duty for landlords to make reasonable adjustments for tenants with disabilities. Your landlord does not have to make changes which affect the structure, or which would substantially and permanently alter the building. 

If you find it very difficult to look after yourself, then you may be entitled to get help in your home. 

We have a duty to assess anyone who appears to have care and support needs under the Care Act 2014. We will: 

  • assess your needs and give you advice - this assessment should determine what type of accommodation is suitable for you or what adaptations might be necessary to allow you to return to your own home
  • provide information about services and support options available to you in your area
  • give you a carer's assessment if you are an unpaid / family carer - the assessment is important because it will help you work out what your difficulties are and consider what support options, including your housing arrangement, you might have

Living Well service

Our Living Well service aims to improve the health, wellbeing and independence of adults. They can support adults who are currently not eligible for on-going social care support and who:

  • are lonely and / or socially isolated
  • have had a recent loss of a support network, including bereavement
  • have had a loss of confidence due to a recent change or event
  • require face to face information, advice and guidance

They help you to access your local community and support you to find a solution to your health and wellbeing goals.


For more information, contact us

Short term support after discharge

Help is available for up to six weeks after discharge. The service aims to help people be as independent as possible by offering a rehabilitation service that can help you rebuild your skills and confidence in doing everyday activities. If you think you may need help when you leave hospital, you can ask to see someone from social care services. They will talk to you about how you will manage at home and what help might be available. They will also see what support needs to be in place before you return home.

Housing options

You may be finding it difficult to manage in your own home or would prefer to move somewhere else. Below are some housing options you may be interested in.

Sheltered housing for the over 55

Sheltered housing is designed for people who are normally able to live quite independently but need occasional help or support from time to time. Often sheltered housing will have a warden who can be called in an emergency and other security features, such as emergency alarm systems. Sheltered housing may also have communal facilities such as a laundry, lounge and garden, as well as offering social activities and events. The level of support on offer will vary depending on the individual scheme.

Extra care housing for the over 55

Extra care housing offers a greater level of support than sheltered accommodation. Residents of extra care housing live in self-contained flats but may have services provided to them by on-site staff, such as meals or personal care and domestic support and there are likely to be communal areas for those who wish to use them.

Supported housing

Supported housing can offer you specialist support to address specific issues that may have led to your going into hospital and can help you to live independently and adjust back into the community.

Applying for social housing

If possible, before discharge, complete a housing application for social housing via the North Yorkshire Home Choice website. Paper applications are also available. 

If you are unable to return home from hospital because your home cannot be adapted, you would be classed as an emergency and be given a high priority. Anyone who is threatened with homelessness is also given priority banding.

Private renting

The main advantage of private rented accommodation is that you will have more choice in terms of location and type of property.

If you have physical health problems, for example, we could help to find a property which has already been adapted in a way that meets their needs. Alternatively, you may be able to get a housing grant to cover any adaptations which need to be made. 

You may also wish to start looking at suitable private renting options on websites such as Right Move or Spare Room. We may be able to help you with a bond or rent in advance to access private rented accommodation. 

Retirement villages

Retirement villages can consist of a large-scale development of bungalows, flats or houses designed for the needs of older people. Many of these retirement complexes will include a care home and a number of communal facilities.

Sheltered housing schemes for younger people

Although many sheltered housing schemes are specifically for older people, there are some that cater to the needs of younger disabled adults. These homes are designed for independent living but have extra facilities such as a warden who can be called in an emergency, or communal facilities such as a laundry and lounge.

Supported housing in the community

Some young adults will only require a small amount of support when at home, and may go to college, work or day centres during the day. A wide variety of housing options are available for these more independent adults. Some supported housing is managed by the local authority, and some by housing associations, voluntary organisations and charities which run the units to meet particular needs, such as adults with learning disabilities.

Help with housing costs

If you are receiving a state benefit or on a low income, you can apply for help towards your rent. 

If you are looking to rent a private rented property, the maximum amount of help you can get is set by the local housing allowance. Details are available on the local housing allowance page on the Government website. If you are under 35, you will only be able to get rent to cover you for a room in a shared house. Further details can be found in our benefits section.

How you access all this support is different depending on where you live in North Yorkshire. 

Support in the Harrogate area

If you are returning to the Harrogate area, contact us

We can discuss your housing options. 

You can also self register for homelessness and get advice at the Housing Jigsaw website.

 You can find out more in our self registration guide (pdf / 2 MB)

Support in the Craven area

If you are returning to the Craven area, contact us.

We can discuss your housing options.

Support in the Richmondshire area

If you are returning to the Richmondshire area, contact us

We can discuss your housing options. You can also contact us for aids and equipment around the home. 

Other organisations within Richmondshire which provide help are: 

  • community support officers - you can contact the East community mental health team on 01609 751274 and the West community mental health team on 01609 751275
  • Spaces - a regional resettlement centre for ex services personnel - you can phone them on 01748 833797


Support in the Scarborough area

If you are returning to the Scarborough area, contact us

We can discuss your housing options. 

Support in the Selby area

If you are returning to the Selby area, contact us

We can discuss your housing options. 

Other organisations within Selby which provide help are: 

Pymble in Selby - Anchor Housing

Telephone: 0800 731 2020

Opening hours: 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm, Saturday. 

The Pymble retirement housing scheme in Selby offers 10 one bedroom, 28 studio and one two bedroom purpose built properties for rent for people over the age of 55. 

Popplewell Springs - Hanover Housing

Address: Leeds Road, Tadcaster, LS24 9FG

Telephone: 01937 530933

Popplewell Springs is an extra care housing scheme managed by Hanover Housing Association.

Fernbank Court - Hanover Housing

 Address: Brayton, Selby, YO8 9RU

Telephone: 01757 702971

Fernbank Court is an extra care housing scheme managed by Hanover Housing Association. 

Horton Housing Association

Horton Housing is a not for profit organisation which provides housing, training and support services to the most vulnerable people in society. 

Horton Housing offers a range of services to provide housing advice and assistance. They work flexibly to engage with people who are homeless, securing short term accommodation and helping them to move into longer term settled accommodation. 

Horton Housing also offers drop in services at Selby, Tadcaster and Sherburn-In-Elmet. To make a referral or contact them, call 01757 241051 or visit the Horton Housing website.

Help available from other agencies

EAC First Stop Advice

EAC FirstStop Advice is an independent, free telephone service offering advice and information to older people, their families and carers about housing and care options for later life. 

You can call for free at 0800 377 7070 or visit the EAC FirstStop Advice website.


The Mind website can help you find support and information. They can look for your local Mind organisation and give details of other local support.

North Yorkshire Horizons

A service delivering specialist drug and alcohol support. The service provides treatment and recovery support to adults with drug and alcohol dependency. Their aim is to help as many people as possible to recover from drug and alcohol dependency in North Yorkshire and to reduce the harms caused by drug and alcohol use to individuals and communities.

For more information, visit the North Yorkshire Horizons website.


For homeless information across a range of topics and for legal housing advice, visit Shelter’s website.

Citizen Advice

You can find a range of support on the Citizen Advice North Yorkshire Citizens Advice and Law website