Energy efficiency advice for housing in the Harrogate area

Find out about the schemes and information sources aiming to help you keep your energy bills down.

There is a lot you can do in your home to keep your energy bills down.

Upgrading your boiler and insulation, switching suppliers, and finding other savings with the help of a smart meter can all cut costs and energy pollution.

We are part of a number of schemes to help you keep your energy bills under control.

Warm and Well in North Yorkshire

Warm and Well in North Yorkshire offers advice and hands-on support to hundreds of local residents every year. Details of the service can be found on the Warm and Well website.

Help can include:

  • home visits to make your home warmer and more energy efficient, or for help with minor repairs
  • advice on how to save money on energy costs, switching suppliers, grants and priority services
  • access to a hardship fund for those in urgent need

The project aims to support:

  • people on low incomes or benefits
  • people over 65
  • families with young children
  • anyone with physical or mental health issues

You can find a referral form on the Warm and Well website.

The project is funded by us and managed on our behalf by Citizens Advice mid-North Yorkshire. You can call them on 01609 767555.

Green Doctors

You can book a free home visit from a Green Doctor directly for yourself or someone you know who may be eligible. The scheme is run by the charity Groundwork. 

Green Doctor can provide support, information and advice on: 

  • switching energy suppliers
  • applying for the warm homes discount and getting grants for insulation and central heating
  • energy bills and fuel debt
  • ways to help you reduce costs

Your Green Doctor can also install simply energy saving measures including:

  • energy efficient light bulbs
  • draught excluders
  • reflective radiator panels
  • pipe lagging
  • hot water tank jackets

Call Green Doctors on 0113 238 0601.

Information for council tenants and housing association tenants

If you live in a council house, you can find more information about how we plan to improve energy efficiency in your home on our council house improvements page.

If you rent from a housing association, you can ask them about their plans to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Home Upgrade Grant - phase 2

A new grant is now available providing energy efficiency upgrades and clean heating systems to low-income households that are not on mains gas.

The Home Upgrade Grant (HUG2) can be used for improvements such as insulation and solar panels to air source heat pumps and smart heating controls. These will help save money on energy bills and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Register your details with us to find out if you could be eligible for the grant.

Smart meters

Smart meters are the new generation of gas and electricity meters that will replace the traditional meters in our homes.

Smart meters let you see exactly how much energy you are using as you use it, and what it is costing in pounds and pence. They take regular readings and share these directly with your energy supplier through a secure wireless network, putting an end to estimated bills and manual meter readings.

Smart Energy GB is the voice of the smart meter rollout. Find out more on the Smart Energy GB website.

Council policies and plans

Every two years, under the Home Energy Conservation Act 1995, we are required to publish a progress report showing how we intend to tackle home energy conservation in our area.  You can read the progress report here (pdf / 636 KB)