Renting out your property in the Ryedale area

Find out about the rules and responsibilities of being a landlord and the help available.

If you are a landlord, you must make sure that your property is fit for someone to live in, both at the beginning of a tenancy and throughout.

This includes:

  • tenancies of less than seven years that began on or after 20 March 2019
  • new secure, assured and introductory tenancies that started on or after 20 March 2019
  • tenancies that were renewed for a fixed term on or after 20 March 2019
  • all periodic tenancies

A property is unfit to live in if:

  • it is neglected and in bad condition
  • the building is unstable
  • there are serious damp problems
  • the layout is unsafe
  • there is not enough natural light
  • there is poor ventilation
  • there are problems with the supply of hot and cold water
  • there are problems with drainage or lavatories
  • there is not enough space to live and sleep
  • there are high levels of noise
  • there are electrical hazards
  • there are very high, or low, temperatures
  • it’s difficult to prepare and cook food, or wash up
  • there are dust mites, mould or fungal growth

There are exceptions if:

  • the problem is caused by your tenant
  • the problem is caused by natural disasters
  • your tenant’s possessions are to blame for the hazard or problem
  • you are waiting for planning permission, or permission from someone else, to start the improvements (in this case, you must be able to show how you have tried to get permission)

If you do not comply:

  • the court can make you pay your tenant compensation 
  • you may be made to improve your property, including any repairs, within a reasonable amount of time
  • you will need to show that you are making every effort to make the house fit to live in

There is no limit to the amount of compensation your tenant can claim from you.

Redress schemes

Redress schemes help to remove bad agents and property managers and increase standards. 

For tenants, or landlords dealing with letting agents, it means there is someone you can go to if you need to complain about the service you are getting. 

Redress schemes make it easier for you to sort problems out before they get worse.

Landlord or letting agent fee rules

The rules include the following:

  • all letting agents must make their fees public
  • fees must be displayed at each of their offices and in a place which can be easily seen by the tenant
  • you should be able to see the fees clearly, without having to ask for them
  • the fees must also be published on the agent's website
  • if you are a letting agent and you are a member of a redress scheme that helps you deal with complaints, you must name the scheme and display any fees

Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide

Rules covering smoke alarms and carbon monoxide include the following:

  • all rented properties must have smoke detectors on each floor
  • your properties must also have carbon monoxide monitors in any living area that has an appliance that burns solid fuel 
  • you must check that alarms are working at the start of each tenancy
  • tenants must then make regular checks themselves and let you know if they are not working

You can find a guide for tenants and landlords about smoke and carbon monoxide alarm regulations on the Government website.

We are responsible for making sure all of this happens. We can fine landlords and letting agents up to £5,000 if they do not comply. You can find out more about fines in the Consumer Rights Act 2005 on the Government website.

How fines work

The levels of fines that can be imposed are:

Offence Fine
First offence £1,000 (reduced to £750 if you pay within 14 days)
Second offence £2,000
Third offence £3,000
Fourth offence £4,000
Fifth offence or more £5,000

Appealing the fine

You can appeal. You must request an appeal in writing within 28 days. The fine will be reviewed by the local housing authority. Your fine will then either be confirmed, reduced or withdrawn.

Energy performance certificates

An energy performance certificate gives your home a rating to show how energy efficient it is. It uses a scale from A to G, where A is the most efficient and G the least.

The certificate shows how much it costs to heat your home, provide hot water and lighting. It also shows any energy saving improvements that could be made.

You can find more guidance on energy performance certificates on the Government website.

Where do I get an energy performance certificate?

You can get an energy performance certificate from an accredited domestic energy assessor.

Visit the Government website to find out if your property already has an energy performance certificate or to get a new energy certificate

Why do I need an energy performance certificate?

Nearly all privately rented residential properties need one, but they are not needed for shared houses where the tenants have separate tenancy agreements.

A certificate helps you to make your property stand out from your competitors and can help you to market your property to tenants. It also lets you know where you can save energy and money on running costs, as well as how to reduce your property’s impact on the environment.

What is the minimum energy efficiency standard?

Under the minimum energy efficiency standard, your property must have an EPC rating of at least E before you can rent your house out.

Visit the Government website to find out how to comply with the energy efficiency standard.

Can my property be exempt?

You must carry out any improvements, up to £3,500, to bring your property up to standard. If you still cannot meet the minimum standard after spending £3,500, your property may be registered as exempt.

How do I register my property as exempt?

You can register your property as exempt on the national PRS exemptions register on the Government website.

You can also use this register to search for other exempt properties.

What happens if I do not comply?

If you are a landlord and you rent out a property that is not fit to live in, we can fine you between £2,000 and £4,000. We may also fine you up to £1,000 if you enter false information on the national PRS exemptions register. We may also publish your details on the register.

Is there help for people with low energy performance certificate ratings?

If you are a landlord and your property has been rated F or G you may be able to access a Government landlord funding contribution. 

Current investigations - letting substandard properties

We are currently carrying out investigations into offences of letting substandard property under the minimum energy efficiency regulations. 

If you are letting a residential property with an energy certificate rating of F or G and have not applied for an exemption, you may be committing an offence of letting a substandard property and could be subject to a fine of up to £4,000 and / or a publication penalty.

Help and advice

Contact us for advice.

The Energy Saving Trust website provides information on home energy efficiency and can help you find grants to help with the costs of improving your energy rating. 

You can call them on 0800 512 012 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

You can also visit the YES Energy Solutions website or call 01422 888100 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.