Roadworks, road closures and diversions

View our interactive map of roadworks, scheduled road closures and diversions.

Current emergency road and bridge closures

During adverse weather conditions it is an ever changing situation on our roads. Please respect road closure signs and do not drive through flood water.

Road Status
- -

You can also follow us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed for updates.

Read our information about winter driving and keep an eye on our weather cameras.

Planned roadworks

You can view information about planned roadworks in our area using our interactive online map as well as via our twitter feed.

Our interactive map is searchable and shows details about dates, severity of impact, and who is responsible for the works. You can also sign up for email alerts for roadworks in your area too.

​Launch interactive roadworks map

Motorways and trunk roads such as the A1, A1(M), M62, A66, A66(M), A64, A168 (Dishforth to Thirsk) and A19 (north of Thirsk) are the responsibility of Highways England. For travel updates on these roads, you can follow Highways England Yorkshire and Highways England North East on Twitter.

Where to find updates about flooding

Frequently asked questions

Are there any controls over the work that is carried out at roadworks?

Any work that is carried out on publicly maintained highway is governed by law. Codes of practice and guidelines cover inspections, safety, co-ordination of street works and specifications for reinstatements. 

Who is responsible for roadworks?

We are responsible for monitoring and co-ordinating roadworks to ensure public safety and reduce congestion and delays.

Sometimes, roadworks that are unforeseen will not be listed on our map if, for example, a utility company needs to undertake emergency repairs due to a power outage, a burst water main, or a gas leak.

Who checks the quality of roadworks?

There are eight street works inspectors working across the county. They monitor a proportion of all sites to ensure the work is being carried out safely and to national specifications; where there are problems, they are corrected.

How can I be alerted to roadworks in my area?

You can sign up to email alerts using our roadworks map.

You can access the roadworks map here. Select the envelope icon on the left of the map, and complete the details requested. You will then receive alerts in your area at a frequency of your choosing.

Why do you occasionally close roads?

There are many reasons why we may need to close a road - for maintenance and repairs, flooding, gas leaks, land slippage or events and street parties.

We can authorise road closures and diversions temporarily, for example to allow roadworks, or permanently, through what is called a 'stopping up order'. The police can also close roads for public safety reasons.

What happens if a request is made for a road to be closed permanently?

If this occurs, we will make an application to the magistrates' court following consultation with statutory consultees and the local community. If a stopping up order is approved by the court, the land will revert back to whoever owned the land before it became a public highway.

How can I arrange a street party, or an event or demonstration on or by a road?