Road signs, markings and bollards

Information about how to report a problem with a road sign, marking or bollard and details about how they are maintained.

Do it online

Report an issue with a road sign, marking or bollard

If you prefer, you can tell us about a road issue anonymously, but you will miss out on the benefits of having an account such as getting progress updates.

Not all roads are our responsibility

Motorways and trunk roads such as the A1, A1(M), M62, A66, A66(M), A64, A168 (Dishforth to Thirsk) and A19 (north of Thirsk) must be reported to National Highways.

In an emergency

If it is an emergency and poses a safety risk, contact us. Out of office hours, call North Yorkshire Police on 101. If there is danger to life, call 999.

Road signs

We may serve notice to remove illegal signs and those that are obstructing public use of the roads. We can charge £50 per item to remove them. We also have the right to recover any additional transport and disposal costs from the owner.

Type of road signs Who provides and funds them?
  • advisory signs - such as reduce speed now, unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles
  • direction signs - to guide and direct traffic
  • information signs - weight limit ahead, diversion signs
  • regulatory signs - such as speed limit, waiting restrictions
  • warning signs - bend, junction, road narrows, ice
  • car park signs (for car parks owned and managed by us)
  • pedestrian finger post signs (in certain locations)
  • street name plates
We provide and fund these.
  • tourist signs
  • neighbourhood watch
  • temporary signs advertising local events
  • village signs
Approved by us, but usually funded by the applicant, the event organiser, or the parish or town council.

    Road markings

    Road markings are used to define carriageway lanes and edges, parking and waiting restrictions and to convey warnings and other instructions to road users. Road markings are subject to considerable wear. All our roads are subject to safety inspections at least annually, and this includes identifying any markings that are badly damaged or degraded.

    Illuminated signs and bollards

    Many traffic signs and bollards are lit at night so that the warnings to motorists are clearly visible. We are responsible for about 8,000 of them and they have a maintenance inspection once a year. Routine highway inspections, and reports from the public identify any faults and condition problems that may arise in between maintenance inspections. Common faults are:

    • overgrown trees and hedges obstructing signs and preventing visibility by road users
    • traffic accidents causing damage to illuminated signs and bollards
    • vandalism preventing visibility of the sign's message

    If it is a safety issue, we will attend and make safe within three hours. Illuminated bollard and statutory signs are repaired within 24 hours; replacements are installed within ten days. Other issues will be dealt with within five days.

    You can find out here about making requests for new highways improvements such as signs or bollards.

    Frequently asked questions

    How do I request a new road sign?

    Each year, we receive and investigate several hundred requests for additional signs. Commonly requested signs include give way, junction, bend warning signs, warning chevrons, pedestrian and children signs, housing development signs  - providing local directions to new sites - and tourism signs. New traffic signs will normally only be provided:

    • where recommended after an accident study
    • in conjunction with improvements or alterations to the road network
    • where existing signs are misleading and there is evidence of this causing confusion to road users
    • where alterations to signage would be a positive benefit to commerce, industry or tourism
    • where there is a legal requirement to provide them

    Contact us to request a new road sign.

    What is done about unauthorised signs?

    Signs which are a safety hazard will be removed immediately.

    We may serve notice to remove illegal signs and those that are obstructing public use of the roads. We can charge £50 per item to remove them. We also have the right to recover any additional transport and disposal costs from the owner.

    What are the rules around traffic mirrors?

    With the release of the new traffic signs regulations, we can now install traffic mirrors without special permission from the Department for Transport. This makes the process easier. However, stringent criteria will continue to be applied before any traffic mirror is introduced on the public highway.

    We will only be consider applications for traffic mirrors at junctions in rural areas when specific criteria can be met. This will only include sites where:

    • there is a proven record of accidents related to poor visibility and high speed crossing traffic
    • physical improvements to improve lines of sight are not possible
    • the drawbacks of installing traffic mirrors will not outweigh the benefits to road users
    • North Yorkshire Police are fully supportive

    Traffic mirrors must be convex and the frame must be of a single colour (black, grey, yellow or white) and they are not permitted in urban areas.

    Contact us to request a traffic mirror.

    Can I have a road marking in front of my drive to prevent it being blocked by parked or queuing cars?

    If you have a properly constructed vehicular crossing and are experiencing inconsiderate parking, consideration may be given to providing you with a white 'H bar' road marking. The marking is purely advisory and is designed to discourage inconsiderate parking.

    In some cases, either of inconsiderate parking or queuing traffic, a 'Keep Clear' road marking can be provided but this would have to be assessed to see if it would help or result in more problems in the area. 'Keep Clear' markings are only advisory and cannot be enforced by the police.

    If the access is obstructed, rather than just making it difficult to access the property, the police should deal with this matter.

    A fee is charged for a new marking, although blue badge holders are exempt from the fee. To request consideration for a new marking, contact us.

    Other road markings are enforceable by the police - call North Yorkshire Police on 101. We, as a highway authority, have no powers of enforcement.