Roadworks, road closures and diversions

View our interactive map of roadworks, scheduled road closures and diversions.

Current emergency road and bridge closures as of 1pm, 17 February

During adverse weather conditions it is an ever changing situation on our roads. Please respect road closure signs and do not drive through flood water. 

Road Status
Haylands/Apperset/Hardraw A684 &C32 open
Castle walk / riverside road, Richmond open
A684 Aysgarth to Worton open
A167 Croft (at railway bridge) open
Aldbrough St John to Melsonby closed
Eppleby village (south side closed
Reeth open
A6108 Masham to Low Ellington passable with care
A6108 Middleham to Middleham Bridge passable with care
Skeeby now open
Ravensworth to Richmond Road tree down

Kneeton Lane, Middleton Tyas

passable with care

Middleton Tyas to Croft on Tees

passable with care
A684 Wensley passable with care
A684 Aysgarth to Worton passable with care

B6274 Gilling West to Aske

passable with care

B6265 Kidstones

passable with care

A684 Morton on Swale


Blakey Lane


Eldmire Lane , Dalton

Dalton Lane, Dalton  
Sexhow Bank passable with care
A684 Stokesley Road, Northallerton passable with care
Mill Lane, Leeming passable with care
High Burton, Masham near Yorvale Vets passable with care

C88 Thirkleby

passable with care

York Road Bridge Tollerton

passable with care
Maunby, Swainby to Cod Beck trees down

C88 Caravan Route

passable with care

B6267 Nosterfield to Masham

passable with care

A684 Crakehall to Patrick Brompton

passable with care

C22 Hutton Rudby

passable with care

C1 Stokesley to Hutton Rudby

passable with care

C27 Swainby to Osmotherley

passable with care

C149 Bullamoor Road, Northallerton

passable with care

Station Lane Scruton

passable with care
Dalton Bridge  passable with care

Carlton bank

passable with care
Minor road across the ford near Dunsley closed
Pale Lane, Carelton closed
Heslaker Lane, Carleton closed
Limehouse Lane, Carleton passable with care
Keighley Road, Skipton open
Holbecks Lane & Beck Closes Road Lower Dunsforth closed
Park Road, Topcliffe closed
B6265 Boroughbridge, Main Bridge  open
B6265 Boroughbridge, Canal Bridge and roundabout open
A6108 Low Burton to Masham Bridge closed
Thornton Bridge to Cundall closed
Church Bank Kirkby Malzeard  closed
Bishop Monkton to Roecliffe closed
B6265 Ripon Racecourse open
Sharrow Lane Ripon open
Magdalens Road Ripon open
Laverton Bridge to Quarry Top open
Roeciffe Caravan Park open
Castley open
Dentley open
Leathley open
Cattal closed
Occaney Lane open
Knaresborough to Ripley passable with care
Cawood Road, Stillingfleet (at crossroads of Church Hill, Stillingfleet) to Cawood Bridge and also road from Mount Pleasant Farm to Kelfield closed
Cawood Bridge, Cawood closed
Boggart Lane, Ozendyke from Ulleskelf to Ryther closed
Ryther Fleet B1223, Ryther closed
Mill Lane, Stutton closed
Intake Lane and Beal Bridge, Beal closed
Newton  Lane, Fairburn closed
Oxton Lane, Oxton closed
The Ramparts, Bolton Percy closed
New Road/Raw Lane, Ulleskelf closed
Back Lane, Acaster Selby  closed
Hales Lane, Drax passable with care
Rathmell Bottoms to A65 junction closed
A629 Keighley Road (outside Audi/Mercedes Garage) open
A65 near Mearbeck Farm (between Settle and Long Preston) open
A56 Thornton in Craven open
Buck Haw Brow closed


Road closures during severe weather

During severe weather, our highway officers often have to close routes quickly for safety. They are likely to be particularly busy during the winter weather period. Their priority will be to keep main routes moving.

We will update information about main routes below where we can. We are unable to provide real time information for all roads across North Yorkshire due to the constantly changing situation.

We will post updates on our facebook page and Twitter feed. You can read our information about winter driving and you can keep an eye on our weather cameras.

Planned roadworks

You can view information about planned roadworks in our area using our interactive online map as well as via our twitter feed.

Our interactive map is searchable and shows details about dates, severity of impact, and who is responsible for the works. You can also sign up for email alerts for roadworks in your area too.

Launch interactive roadworks map

Motorways and trunk roads such as the A1, A1(M), M62, A66, A66(M), A64, A168 (Dishforth to Thirsk) and A19 (north of Thirsk) are the responsibility of Highways England. For travel updates on these roads, you can follow Highways England Yorkshire and Highways England North East on twitter.

Where to find updates about flooding

Frequently asked questions

Any work that is carried out on publicly maintained highway is governed by law. Codes of practice and guidelines cover inspections, safety, co-ordination of street works and specifications for reinstatements. 

Who is responsible for roadworks?

We are responsible for monitoring and co-ordinating roadworks to ensure public safety and reduce congestion and delays.

Sometimes, roadworks that are unforeseen will not be listed on our map if, for example, a utility company needs to undertake emergency repairs due to a power outage, a burst water main, or a gas leak.

Who checks the quality of roadworks?

There are eight streetworks inspectors working across the county. They monitor a proportion of all sites to ensure the work is being carried out safely and to national specifications; where there are problems, they are corrected.

You can sign up to email alerts using our roadworks map.

You can access the roadworks map here. Select the envelope icon on the left of the map, and complete the details requested. You will then receive alerts in your area at a frequency of your choosing.

There are many reasons why we may need to close a road - for maintenance and repairs, flooding, gas leaks, land slippage or events and street parties.

We can authorise road closures and diversions temporarily, for example to allow roadworks, or permanently, through what is called a 'stopping up order'. The police can also close roads for public safety reasons.

If a request is made for a road to be closed permanently we will make an application to the magistrates' court following consultation with statutory consultees and the local community. If a stopping up order is approved by the court, the land will revert back to whoever owned the land before it became a public highway.

We encourage events that residents will enjoy, as well as those designed to attract tourists.

However, any event that causes disruption to traffic must be carefully managed to minimise congestion. This may require a temporary traffic regulation order, for which we require three months' advance notice. It's advisable to contact us to discuss event traffic management plans at least six months before the event. 

  • We must be notified of small street parties for friends and neighbours but no licence is required for these.
  • We must also be told about larger, publicised events open to the public, such as: cycle races; marches; demonstrations; and protests, as licences are required for these.

Small street parties

We have created a  guide and application form for organising a street party (doc / 158 KB), in those instances where a road closure would not result in any diverted traffic. Organising small, private street parties is simple and, providing alcohol is not sold and entertainment is not provided, licences will not be needed.

Larger events

A larger event or a street party proposed on a through road, i.e. a road which may access other streets, requires a more detailed process. 

Any event that may have an impact on traffic, regardless of whether the event is actually taking place on the highway or not, will require the event organiser to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order.

This must be applied for at least three months before the event start date to allow for signing to be placed on the road (by suitably qualified persons) and may allow roads to be closed or temporary traffic signals to be erected.

You can use our  events planning protocol (pdf / 356 KB) for guidance on planning a larger event.

Making an application

To make an application for a temporary road closure or restriction for the purpose of holding an event, please download and complete the  event on the highway application form (docx / 462 KB). The document contains guidance notes to assist you. Please return the form to our customer services centre.

Fees and charges

The legal process required to close a road to traffic carries a charge. View our  list of fees and charges for 2016-17 (pdf / 253 KB).


It is the responsibility of the event organiser to make sure the event is planned and held safely and with minimum disruption to other highway users. See this  event safety guide (pdf / 918 KB) from the Health and Safety Executive for guidance.

​Chat to us