As a high performing local authority who put our residents at the heart of what we do, we have a lot to celebrate. Are you what we are looking for?
Why work for us?
As England's largest county, North Yorkshire's natural beauty is captured in its stunning coastlines, scenic rural villages and market towns, as well as two spectacular national parks. North Yorkshire really is a beautiful place to live and work, rich in heritage and culture.
We are the region's largest employer with a workforce exceeding 20,000 people. Our employees cover a diverse mixture of roles such as: legal, teaching, social work and engineering, and we can offer you the opportunity to develop your career. From children's social care to highways, our services are regarded as among the best nationally. We are a loyal and committed workforce who are resilient, innovative and stay ahead of the curve.
We look for innovative individuals who will help us realise our ambition of ensuring that all residents of North Yorkshire have access to live happier, healthier and more independent lives.
Find out how we are leading the way and what the future holds for us by reading the MJ supplement (pdf / 2 MB).
You can also find out more about what it's like working for the council from this video:
- Flexible working practices including working from other locations and from home.
- A market-leading pension scheme.
- Generous leave entitlement.
- Retail, travel and leisure discounts and salary sacrifice discount schemes through Everybody Benefits.
- Commitment to staff development and continuous learning.
- Progression and career-enhancement opportunities.
- Access to modern technologies to aid flexible working practices.
- Relocation package and support
- As a Mindful Employer, we are committed to promoting and protecting your mental health and wellbeing at work.
- Professional qualifications: add value to your career by studying a professional qualification and benefit from staff reductions.
- Child care vouchers: save up to 41 per cent against the cost of childcare;
- Cycle discounts: save up to 32 per cent against the cost of a cycle;
- Green lease cars: take a private lease on a new low-emission car of your choice, fully maintained and insured by the provider. Staff will enter into a three year agreement for 36 monthly gross salary deductions, which means a saving in tax, national insurance and pension. Eligibility criteria exist for this scheme;
- Home technology: take a private lease on the latest PCs, laptops, tablets and Smart TVs. Staff will enter into a three year agreement for 36 monthly gross salary deductions, which means a saving in tax and national insurance. Eligibility criteria exist for this scheme.
- Green travel loan scheme: an interest-free loan towards an annual season ticket to get you from home to work;
- Health and wellbeing: in addition to in-house occupational health services, preferential rates on a private health scheme are available through payroll deductions;
- Holiday discounts: available via the Everybody Benefits scheme;
- Leisure facilities discounts: various discounts on facilities run by district councils and some private gyms; and
- Eye care: staff who use a computer as a regular part of their job are entitled to a free eye test and potentially computer-specific glasses.
Find out about the full range of employee benefits by viewing our total rewards booklet (pdf / 1 MB).