The UK left the European Union (EU) single market and customs union on 31 December 2020 and this will affect many people and businesses.

Check what you need to do

You can see a complete list of what you need to do for you, your family and your business on the government's UK transition pages.

Visiting the EU after 31 December 2020

You can check what you need to do on the government's visiting Europe from the 1 January 2021 page.

Continuing to live in the UK if you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You and your family usually need to apply for settled status to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020 if you’re from the EU (except Ireland), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

You can see what you need to do on the government's continuing to live in the UK if you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen pages.

We want our EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their families to know that they are very welcome in North Yorkshire and are a very important part of the cultural and economic vitality of our county, as well as valued members of our communities and workforce.

Applying for settled status requires access to a compatible phone or tablet to scan your identity document yourself.

The EU Settlement scheme operated by local councils has now closed. Find out more about visas and immigration on the government website.

Immigration inspections

People moving from outside the UK into our area may need to confirm to UK Border Control that they are moving into suitable, uncrowded accommodation. Normally, someone acts as a sponsor to the person moving into the area, and they will be asked by the immigration authority for an independent assessment.

Find more information on immigration inspections, including how to arrange one, on our immigration inspections page.

Living and working in the EU after 31 December 2020

You can see what you need to do on the government's UK nationals working and living in the EU pages

Advice for businesses and self-employed people

If you trade with or in the EU, you must follow new arrangements. You can find out more from the government website on:

If you employ any EU, EEA and Swiss citizens you should make them aware of their right to stay in the UK and support them to apply for apply for settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme.

The West and North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce has published guidance for businesses who import and export on their website.

The York and North Yorkshire Local Enterprise Partnership has also created a dedicated area on their website offering advice to businesses around Brexit.