Executive members for the controlling Conservative party group
The Executive, consisting of the leader and nine other councillors, makes most decisions, but decisions about the budget and major policy framework are made by the full council.
- Councillor Carl Les - leader of the council, also responsible for communications, safer communities and emergency planning
- Councillor Gareth Dadd - deputy leader, executive member for finance, assets and resources, and special projects
- Councillor Derek Bastiman - executive member for open to business, including economic development, regulatory services, the management of waste disposal and the integration of waste collection. Responsibility for building relationships with businesses and with the LEP’s infrastructure board
- Councillor David Chance - executive member for corporate services, including legal and democratic services, overview and scrutiny committees, partnerships, performance management, customer contact, locality budgets, refugee and evacuee reception and support, NYLAF and Household Support Fund, member support, IT, complaints and compliments, customer services including the Council contact centre
- Councillor Keane Duncan – executive member for highways and transportation, both road and rail, plus bus services and engagement with Transport for the North
- Councillor Michael Harrison - executive member for health and adult services, including health and wellbeing board, health integration, extra care
- Councillor Simon Myers – executive member for planning for growth, the Council’s present responsibility and preparing for the new unitary authority, as well as culture, leisure, sport and housing responsibilities
- Councillor Janet Sanderson – executive member for children and young people’s services with responsibility for fostering and adoption, children’s social care, safeguarding and prevention
- Councillor Greg White – executive member for working in localities, including stronger communities, Area Constituency Committees, broadband and mobile telephony and to act as the Council’s digital champion, working with Parish and Town Councils, libraries, and other face to face contact points (Registrars, Coroners and Records), and the Council’s response to Climate Change
- Councillor Annabel Wilkinson - executive member for education, learning and skills, including early years, schools, apprenticeships, FE colleges, UTCs and engagement with the skills part of the LEP
Leaders of the other political groups
You can view a list of the leaders of each of the political groups within the council here.
View the membership of all other committees.