A care and support initial assessment provides advice and guidance about meeting your care and support needs.
It recommends whether a full assessment of your needs might be helpful to you. You can find out more about needs assessments here.
Care and support initial assessment
This assessment (also called a route) helps us work out what type of support you may need. We will ask you questions about your care and support needs.
You can take the assessment if you are:
- an adult
- living in North Yorkshire
- not already getting help with care
You can complete the assessment on behalf of somebody else, such as a friend or relative. You will need to have their consent to do this. You should get them to help answer the questions.
You should not take the assessment if you are:
- already receiving care and support services arranged by the county council - contact our customer services team instead
- a health care professional - use our professional referral
- concerned about a young person under 18 years old - use the safeguarding children universal referral form
Answering the questions
There are 12 short multiple-choice questions. We ask you about your care and support needs such as:
- personal care
- move around your home
- getting out and about
Your answers will tell us if you need further help from us or from other organisations.
We may also ask you for personal information. This can include:
- your name
- contact details (including email and phone number)
- date of birth
- ethnic background
- communication or information needs
We keep your information private. We will only share it to help us assess and meet your care and support needs. This could be a doctor or a nurse. We will ask for your permission before we do this.
Once you have answered all the questions we will recommend what you should do next.
- You can use the recommended information and advice without contacting the council.
- You can send your information to us for more help (a referral). A professional will talk to you and provide more advice.
Getting more help
After you send us your details we will decide whether you need an assessment.
If you need a full assessment of your needs, we aim to contact you within one week. This is to book an appointment for someone from the assessment team to visit you at home within 28 days.
If you might need an assessment, a social care professional will call you and assess you over the phone. You can book this phone appointment when you send us your request. A telephone appointment might take up to an hour.
If we cannot help you over the phone then we will consider arranging a visit to assess you in person.