Wherever you are thinking of getting married or forming a civil partnership, we can guide you through the process.

One of the first things you will need to decide is where you want to celebrate your ceremony.

Approved venues

North Yorkshire has a wonderfully diverse choice of venues, including town centre hotels, castles and stately homes, coastal venues, rural farms and more. You're certain to find something to suit you. Take a look at all of our approved venues

Outdoors at an approved venue

Many of our venues offer legal ceremonies outdoors, with the couple, their witnesses and the registrars beneath a licensed structure (for example a gazebo) and your guests seated in the open air. In this instance, the whole of your ceremony can be conducted in one place, including the signing of the schedule.

Outdoor ceremonies may take place in the grounds of the venue, without the need for a licensed structure. Please remember that not all venues will be able to offer this and you must always remember that if the weather is wet or inclement, the registrars will not usually be able to wait for the weather to clear, as they will have other ceremonies to attend that day.

The venue must agree and also reserve an alternative ceremony room for you in case your ceremony needs to be conducted indoors. Your chosen venue and wedding coordinator will be able to offer advice and suggestions.

Ceremonies are only held outside in daylight hours between the months of April and October.

Registration office

We offer personalised ceremonies at all of our registration offices. Our enhanced ceremonies offer you the opportunity to add readings, personalise your promises to each other and more.

The basic ceremony option (a standard ceremony) is the simplest way to get married or create a civil partnership. It is available at the statutory fee, however, only two guests are allowed that will act as your witnesses. Witnesses must be age 16 or over. Children of the couple under the age of 16 will not count towards the two guests. No music, readings or photographers are permitted. This ceremony is available at all offices on selected dates.

Please contact us for more information.

Religious Ceremonies

A religious wedding can take place at any registered religious building.

Same-sex couples can get married in a religious building if it has been registered for the marriage of same-sex couples. You cannot get married in an Anglican church as a same-sex couple.

Check with the venue if there is an authorized person. If not, and your church is within the registration district of North Yorkshire, you’ll need to book a registrar through our ceremonies team. Contact us.

Booking the registrar

Once you've decided on your North Yorkshire venue, you will need to book the registrar.

Please contact us. Let the team know your preferred dates and venue and they will be happy to contact you with availability and prices or to take your booking.

Find out more about booking your ceremony