Preparation for adulthood - independent living

Support and advice for improving and maintaining independence for young people with SEND.

The quality of accommodation, its location, and security are all important aspects that contribute to your wellbeing.

You need to think carefully about whether you want to live alone or with other people, and how much privacy you want. Plan ahead as much as possible. Find out what the housing options are in both the public and private sectors, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Finding somewhere to live

There are lots of different types of housing and ways to find a home of your own.

Different housing options:

  • social housing: This refers to housing that is owned by the local council or a housing association. The Home Choice website has information on local authority and registered social landlord properties for rent in Craven, Richmondshire, Ryedale, Hambleton, Scarborough and Selby
  • private landlord: This means renting from someone who owns a property, and this could be an individual or an organisation. Private landlords may advertise their properties in letting agencies or estate agents, an advert in the local newspaper, on a sign outside the property, on the internet, or on a shop noticeboard
  • supported housing: There are various different types of supported and sheltered housing, some of which come with help from support staff. You can find out more about the different types of supported housing on our sheltered and supported housing page
  • shared lives: In a 'shared lives scheme' someone is matched with a host family and lives as part of that family. They share family life and live with, or near to, the host family. The host family gives support and care. This can be for long-term support, a short break, daytime support, or family support for someone who lives nearby, but not with the host family
  • extra care housing: Extra care housing offers a way of supporting you to live independently for as long as you can. It means you are living 'in your own home' in a private apartment but with 24 hour care and support available on site. You can find out all about extra care housing on our extra care housing schemes page
  • residential care homes: Residential care means having a room in a building shared with a number of other people. Twenty-four hour care will be provided on site, as will meals. You can find out more about residential care homes on our residential care homes and nursing homes page
  • Homeshare: Homeshare is when a disabled person invites someone to live with them in return for some support. The 'homesharer' has their own room in the householder's property. They give support with things like cooking or socialising
  • home ownership: This is when you borrow money to buy a house and pay the money back over many years through a mortgage. You can also use your savings. You could inherit a home which could be yours alone or it could be left to you and your family
  • shared ownership: This is when a housing association owns part of your home and you own the rest. You have to pay rent to the housing association for the part you do not own and pay the mortgage for the part you do own
  • HOLD: HOLD stands for home ownership for people with long-term disabilities. This is a specific type of shared ownership to help people with a disability to own their own home. It is run by some housing associations. You can find out more on the Government's home ownership for people with long-term disabilities webpage

Further information on housing and care

Useful links