We will investigate complaints of noise nuisance related to:
- machinery and equipment being used in the street
- sounding vehicle alarms
- loudspeakers in the street
We can't investigate:
- traffic noise
- noise in the street from antisocial behaviour
- aircraft noise
Anti-social behaviour noise
You should complain about aircraft noise direct to the relevant airport or complain about aircraft noise to the Civil Aviation Authority.
We can't investigate traffic noise as it is exempt from statutory nuisance and there aren't noise limits on roads. Find out more about traffic noise on the Gov.uk website.
Ice-cream van chimes
There is a code of practice for ice-cream vans which provides guidance on minimising the noise from ice cream van chimes, the main points of which are:
Do not sound chimes:
- Before 12pm or after 7pm
- For longer than 12 seconds at a time
- More often than once every 2 minutes
- More than once when the van is stationary at a selling point
- When in sight of another vehicle which is trading
- Within 50 metres of a school (during school hours), hospitals or places or worships (on Sundays recognised days of worship)
- More than once every 2 hours in the same length of street
More information is available on the Gov.uk website here.
Report a noise problem
Contact us to report a noise problem.