Within three days of the buying date, members who have placed an order will receive an email or telephone call with details of the confirmed price per litre, the chosen supplier and the savings made by the buying group. Payment terms vary between suppliers, so these details are always provided as part of our supplier and price confirmation email.
Residents can save on their heating bills by being part of an oil buying cooperative. The more members the oil buying cooperative has, the better the savings that can be achieved.
We are delivering oil buying cooperatives through Choices4Energy.
To become a member, and save money on your oil bills, register for an oil buying cooperative online.
Frequently asked questions about the oil buying cooperatives
How will I know the price?
How much fuel do I need to order?
You can order as much as you need. It is worth noting that the more the co-operative orders, generally the better the price per litre is. Five hundred litres is the minimum amount you can order as this is a trading standards requirement.
How do I place an order?
Choices4Energy will take some basic information from you when you sign up to your local oil cooperative. When an order is due to be put in, Choices4Energy will be in touch with you and you will tell them how much oil you require and any delivery notes. This can be done via email, telephone or face to face.
Will I be reminded when an order is going to take place?
Yes, a timetable of oil order will be provided to all members of the oil co-operative, but reminders will be either sent by email or post, depending on your chosen method of contact, two weeks before the order date.
Can I cancel my order?
Yes, but only until the day before the order date. You can contact us.
Once the order has been placed and you need to make changes to your order, this can only be done directly with the oil supplier.
How do I pay for my oil order?
Once the price has been confirmed, Choices4Energywill pass your order details onto the chosen oil supplier. By placing your order through the oil co-operative, you are agreeing to the payment terms of the oil supplier (this is stated in the oil co-operatives terms and conditions) which may be on, before, or after the oil delivery. Some oil suppliers may levy a fee for credit card payments.
I currently pay for my oil deliveries through Direct Debit. Is this still possible through the oil cooperative?
We do not use Direct Debit as a payment method due to nature of the oil co-operative changing oil suppliers in accordance with the best price of oil. Direct Debit ties customers to that one oil supplier, so they are unable to take advantage of the most competitive prices.
Where can I get more information about this oil cooperative?
For more information, please contact us.
The oil cooperative coordinator will attend local events, where they will be happy to have a chat with you.
Do I need to be in when the oil is delivered?
As long as your tank is accessible you do not need to be in to accept the order. We will always ask you for information on where your tank is located when you join the co-operative. We pass this information onto the chosen supplier.
How do I know how much fuel has been delivered into my tank?
The chosen oil supplier will put a note through your door detailing the exact number of litres that has been delivered.
What is the VAT charged on oil?
The rate of VAT on domestic oil is 5 per cent regardless of how much is ordered.
Why does Choices4Energy take 1p per litre?
Choices4Energy is a service funded by us that is part-funding the oil-buying co-operative. Choices4Energy looked at a number of models running nationally and decided that the most cost-effective one for our residents was one where we charge the chosen oil company a referral fee. This ensures that we can effectively manage a number of oil co-operatives on behalf of residents.
Do you provide Aga fuel?
Some of our oil suppliers do provide an additive for Aga fuel. This may have a higher cost so specify this when ordering.
What if I don't know how much oil I need?
Although you are able to order a top-up, it is recommended that you make a visual check of your tank to ensure that we are able to make as accurate an order as possible. This ensures that the last person in the delivery loop still receives some oil.
Terms and conditions
The terms and conditions listed below should provide you with further details of how the oil buying cooperative works and how Choices4Energy manage the scheme. When you register to become a member, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Choices4Energy terms and conditions
- Choices4Energy will conduct an open and transparent procurement process to obtain the best possible price and service from oil companies for our customers.
- Oil orders will take place approximately every two months. A timetable is provided to all existing and new members.
- The price set out to our customers will be the best possible price quoted at that time.
- The customer has no obligation to be a part of Choices4Energy oil cooperative.
- There is a minimum order of 500 litres per customer.
- The customer must provide any delivery comments needed for safe delivery of the oil when placing the order.
- The customer must inform Choices4Energy of any change of address or contact details before any oil is ordered. Failure to do so means that Choices4Energy cannot be held responsible for oil being sent to the wrong address and the customer would be liable for the payment to the oil company.
- Once the customer has placed an order through the oil cooperative the customer is obligated to pay and receive that order and Choices4Energy disclaims any liability. The contract for the supply of oil will solely be between the oil company and the customer. This includes, for example, delivery, connection, access, billing and payments.
- The customer shall keep their oil tank in good condition and accepts that oil companies have the right to refuse delivery if they consider that the customer’s oil tank contravenes regulations relating to health and safety or to be a potential pollution hazard.
- The chosen oil company will invoice the customer directly for the order and the customer will make payment to the oil company in accordance with its terms and conditions.
- Choices4Energy will obtain payment from the oil company of a referral fee of 1p per litre ordered from the chosen oil company.
- Choices4Energy takes no responsibility for the payment of oil deliveries, the deliveries themselves, any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products’ liability, negligence or otherwise.
- Choices4Energy will only share the customer’s personal data with the chosen oil company.
- Choices4Energy will not share any personal data with third parties unless consent has been given by the customer themselves.
- Choices4Energy has the right to refuse any application and change these terms and conditions at any time.
Oil buying timetable 2022 / 2023
|Reminder to all members||Oil cut-off date||Oil order date||Expected delivery date (depending how busy the winning company is)|
|10 May 2023||23 May 2023||24 May 2023||29 May to 14 June 2023|
|21 June 2023||4 July 2023||5 July 2023||10 to 15 July 2023|
|2 August 2023||15 August 2023||16 August 2023||21 to 25 August 2023|
|13 September 2023||26 September 2023||27 September 2023||2 - 6 October 2023|
|25 October 2023||7 November 2023||8 November 2023||13 - 17 November 2023|
|22 November 2023||5 December 2023||6 December 2023||11 - 15 December 2023|