Traffic lights

Information about what traffic lights we are responsible for and how to report a fault online.

Do it online

Report a traffic light issue

If you prefer, you can tell us about a traffic light issue anonymously, but you will miss out on the benefits of having an account such as getting progress updates.

Not all roads are our responsibility

Motorways and trunk roads such as the A1, A1(M), M62, A66, A66(M), A64, A168 (Dishforth to Thirsk) and A19 (north of Thirsk) must be reported to National Highways.

In an emergency

If it is an emergency and poses a safety risk, contact us. Out of office hours, call North Yorkshire Police on 101. If there is danger to life, call 999.

Permanent traffic lights

We are responsible for the provision and maintenance of all permanent traffic signals on the roads which we maintain. This includes:

  • junction signals
  • pedestrian crossing signals including:
    • pelican
    • puffin
    • toucan
    • pegasus, equestrian and zebra crossings

If you would like to request new permanent traffic lights to be installed, or a new pedestrian crossing, you can find out about requesting highways improvements here.

Temporary traffic lights

Contractors may apply to use temporary traffic signal controls where roadworks are being carried out to help manage traffic flow while work is carried out. We do not provide or maintain these lights, and faults should be reported to the contractor using the details which are usually written on the generator.

Frequently asked questions

How quickly will a traffic signal fault be repaired?

Our response times to traffic signal faults depend on the urgency of the fault and the time of day the fault is reported.

Some fault repairs require specialist equipment, cable repair or traffic management; these may take longer to resolve.

Type of fault To be attended Attended (within) Repaired
Urgent faults, for example, lights all out, damaged equipment or red lamps out in normal working hours 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday 3 hours 16 hours
Urgent faults, for example, lights all out, damaged equipment or red lamps out outside normal working hours 10pm - 8am Monday to Friday and 24-hours a day at weekends and bank holidays 4 hours 16 hours
Non-urgent faults, for example, all other lamp faults 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 8 hours 16 hours
Deferred faults     8am - 6pm Monday to Friday - 32 hours

Where there is a problem with the electricity supply, the electricity company aims to attend to the fault within three hours. The time to restore the supply will depend on the amount of work involved.

For contractors: how can I apply to place temporary traffic signals on the highway?

We authorise contractors to use temporary traffic signals on our highway where roadworks are being carried out to help manage traffic flow whilst work is being progressed.

Contractors who are planning to carry out roadworks on the highway are required, as part of their street works notice application, to submit a traffic management plan which includes the use of temporary traffic lights where needed.

If you are a contractor, you can apply to place temporary traffic signal controls on the highway whilst works are being undertaken by downloading and completing the relevant application form below and returning it to the appropriate office, detailed at the end of the application form, for them to process.