Our NYES Catering service provides school meals to over half of the schools in North Yorkshire, with the aim of bringing enjoyment to school lunchtimes with local, fresh, great quality food being at the heart of what we do.
We follow a healthy eating policy, with 75% of our food produced daily in a school kitchen. We provide:
- fresh meat and poultry sourced from the region and Red Tractor approved
- free-range eggs and sustainably caught fish
- a menu that is fully compliant to the School Food Standards
- fruit and vegetables sourced regionally where possible using local suppliers to promote local businesses and reduce our carbon footprint
- products free from additives associated with health problems in young children
- a menu that is nutritionally analysed, as well as being checked by a registered nutritionist
- information and menu guidance on any specific dietary requirements any staff or pupils may have
- fats free from hydrogenated oils
- menus that are nutritionally balanced
You can view our school meals food policy here. If your child's school uses another catering service you can find out more about the food they offer by contacting the school.
In our primary schools our meals:
- have a three-menu cycle, allowing children to become familiar with the food served
- are changed every term to reflect the seasons
- are written using feedback from pupils, parents, carers, cooks and school staff
View and download our primary school menu.
Plus, we also host fun promotional days with special menus to add an extra ’buzz’ to school lunches throughout the term. These exciting one-off menus are shared with your schools ahead of the day, along with a themed activity sheet to download; so please ask your school for more information on these.
All Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 pupils are entitled to free school meals and you can find out how to get them on our free school meals page.
Unless you are entitled to claim free meals, there is a charge for pupils in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6. The average charge for a meal is £2.58 but schools set their own meal prices so please check with your child's school for price and payment arrangements. If you receive certain benefits you may entitled to free school meals.
Secondary schools operate a cafeteria system with a wide choice of lunches that are varied, and tasty. Our selection includes grab and go options for those not able to sit and eat with us, as well as having the option of a more traditional meal.
View and download our secondary school menu.
Most secondary schools operate a cashless system and pupils are issued with smart cards or use their finger or thumb print to identify themselves. Your secondary school will be able to tell you if it offers this system and how you can pay for meals in advance. If you receive certain benefits you may entitled to free school meals.
Schools are required to provide free drinking water at all times on their premises.