Household waste, rubbish and recycling collections are the responsibility of the seven district and borough councils.

Services your district provide

Your district or borough council is responsible for collecting the following items and managing the waste issues below:

    District and borough councils are responsible for collecting household rubbish that is not recyclable. They provide dustbins, wheelie bins or bags, which may vary according to local circumstances and the style of property.

    Your district or borough council regularly collects household items for recycling from your home.

    They also provide the containers - bags, boxes or bins - to collect them in.

    District and borough councils provide recycling banks (also known as bottle banks and bring sites) around the county, often in car parks and near supermarkets. Sites usually have facilities to collect glass and paper and sometimes textiles, plastics and cans.

    Bulky waste refers to items that are too big to be taken away with the normal rubbish collection, such as furniture and electrical goods, such as televisions, fridges and freezers.

    Typical items that may be collected by your district or borough council for a fee include:

    • white goods, such as washing machines, dishwashers, microwave ovens, cookers, hobs and tumble dryers;
    • televisions, computers and screens;
    • carpets;
    • free-standing furniture, such as beds and wardrobes; and
    • mattresses.

    Typical items that may not be collected by your district or borough council include:

    • asbestos;
    • black bags of waste; and
    • building rubble.

    Alternatively, you can dispose of broken or unusable bulky waste at your local household waste recycling centre.

    Reuse or recycle

    If you no longer want items but they are still in good condition, consider passing them on to someone else. Our directory can help you find charity and reuse shops in your area and more information about what they would like to receive.

    A garden waste collection service may be provided by your district or borough council. The service is available to the majority of homes and allows compost to be produced while reducing waste.

    District and borough councils provide a service to help residents who, through illness or infirmity, are unable to put out their rubbish for collection and do not have anyone else to help them.

    District and borough councils have a responsibility to act on reports of flytipping, to remove the waste and find and prosecute the offenders. If the waste is hazardous, the council is responsible for ensuring public safety until the waste is removed.

    Local, district and borough councils provide bins, remove litter and sweep the streets. They also arrange for the bins to be emptied regularly.

    Littering is an offence. The average fine is about £95, but can be up to £2,500.

    Household clinical waste is dealt with by your district or borough council.